YAFLogo

VelvetMirror
12 years ago
I would like to know if it is possible to make the transition from MSSQL to MySQL in my YAF forum.

I've used the search option but the last related post was about 2008 and without any solution.

Has anyone been able to do this?

What tool should I use in order to make this migration possible?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor
bbobb
  • bbobb
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
12 years ago
Yes, it's possible - you should simply use MySQL Migration Toolkit to migrate tables.

But you should be aware of 3 things:

- estimate the perfomance using a test data generator(available in 1.9.4 RC1 in the debug mode)

- the data layer should be upgradable to 1.9.4 beginning with 1.9.3 FINAL

- you can do it if you have MySQL scripts skills only and you will not get much support.

As the data layer developer I can say that I will give a very limited support for the data layer beginning with 1.9.4 final only. Currently I don't have a free-of-charge time to fix possible issues.

If community helps in it - there will be more time to put into it.

The MySQL date layer is not a part of YAF, YAF developers support only MS SQL data layer. Here you mostly on your own.

VelvetMirror
12 years ago
So I was wondering if it would be possible to pay in order to do this and how much it would cost me, because I don't think I would be able to do it on my own.
bbobb
  • bbobb
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
12 years ago
Currently, YAF is coming to the RC2 stage. It's much more important to debug it.

The MySQL DL is at a stage when only skilled developers can cope with it.

If you don't have skills I can only recommend to use MS SQL server until the 1.9.4 FINAL release for MySQL 😞 .

VelvetMirror
12 years ago
Do you mean that when the 1.9.4 version it's release it would support migration from mssql to mysql?
bbobb
  • bbobb
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
12 years ago
VelvetMirror wrote:

Do you mean that when the 1.9.4 version it's release it would support migration from mssql to mysql?

The migration of data can be supported only by people. For example, that means that if you encounter problems with a different column order or something you can get a free assistance, if I have time. But a data transfer from 1 db to another is your problem. It has no any connection to YAF.

There is Tyny Geko  company, maybe they can help you more.

shumaker212
12 years ago
I use a tool to migrate my Database from MSSQL to MySQL  called Dblaol.

http://www.dbload.com 

bbobb
  • bbobb
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
12 years ago
I use the Migration Toolkit from here

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/gui-tools/5.0.html 

It's absolutely free of charge. No need in any commercial products.

Its current replacement MySQL Workbench 5.2 doesn't support a migration, but it's planned after the 5.2.