YAFLogo

Dagonus
  • Dagonus
  • 59.6% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling Topic Starter
12 years ago
I searched around a bit and I couldn't find it on the forums, I'm sure it's somewhere so if that's the case, just point me in the right direction.

I've got a 1.9.1.7 forum and I want to jump to 1.9.3. Do I need to make all the baby steps in between or can I just jump clean to 1.9.3?

How do I get 1.9.3 to talk to the old 1.9.1.7 database?

For the record it's all on a Godaddy account so I only have what access they give me.

Sponsor

DJGray
  • DJGray
  • 88.8% (Honored)
  • YAF Commander
12 years ago
Dagonus wrote:

I searched around a bit and I couldn't find it on the forums, I'm sure it's somewhere so if that's the case, just point me in the right direction.

I've got a 1.9.1.7 forum and I want to jump to 1.9.3. Do I need to make all the baby steps in between or can I just jump clean to 1.9.3?

How do I get 1.9.3 to talk to the old 1.9.1.7 database?

For the record it's all on a Godaddy account so I only have what access they give me.

Dagonus,

I have three YAFs on GoDaddy, and they are all 1.9.1.8. I suspect that's what yours is as well unless you set it up a very long time ago.

In the root folder where you unzip the install (get the binary, not the source) you'll find an install.txt file that outlines exactly how to do the upgrade. You don't need to do it incrementally.

Dagonus
  • Dagonus
  • 59.6% (Neutral)
12 years ago
Nope. It is 1.9.1.7. I actually tried to go to 1.9.1.8 using GoDaddy's APP updater, but it had an error. Then i tried to roll it back and it had another error leaving me in a situation where it told me it couldn't auto update and to just uninstall it. So I've got to do a manual install one way or the other.

By the install.txt, I assume you mean the one with the 1.9.3 download?

Dagonus
  • Dagonus
  • 59.6% (Neutral)
12 years ago
So I read it. I don't understand most of it. I've done some desktop support work but never server stuff so this is all a bit outside my grasp. I did the original install with the Autoinstaller on Godaddy so I've got zero experience here.

To update:

"Just install as normal PA." by normal do they mean as a clean install?

PA? I'm assuming it's not Pennsylvania.

dotnetnuke directory? How do I get into that on GoDaddy? Have I already used it for something else and just thought of it as something different?

"Update your database by executing the SQL provider files "*.sql"" How do I do that serverside with godaddy or do I ahve to backup the database(Obviosuly I'd do that anyway) download the *.bak, run the SQLs into the bak and then put it back up and restore from there?

"Edit the dnnyafnet.config file and change the "connstr" settings to the correct values for your database." How do I know what the correct values are?

"Merge .config changes by viewing dnn.config. Then copy the dnnyafnet.config to your DNN root directory." Viewing it... through a browser post installation?

Really, I hate to say it, but I need the idiot's version.

Is it possible to take out the current messed up install, the database, let GoDaddy AutoInstall 1.9.3 and then restor the old database into it? Just bringing the database up to date?

DJGray
  • DJGray
  • 88.8% (Honored)
  • YAF Commander
12 years ago
Dagonus wrote:

So I read it. I don't understand most of it. I've done some desktop support work but never server stuff so this is all a bit outside my grasp. I did the original install with the Autoinstaller on Godaddy so I've got zero experience here.

I'm not even close to a YAF expert. I can't get my 1.9.4 beta to work properly, but I know GoDaddy fairly well and can help you navigate there. It is one of the most user UNfriendly sites to navigate!! It is NOT intuitive, so I'm feeling your pain there. I host about eight sites for other people and groups there so I've learned through the pain how to get where I need to go.

First off, back up your database!!!

(I'm doing this from memory, so some of the steps might be just a bit off)

1. Log into GoDaddy with your administrative credentials.

2. HOVER (don't click) over the Hosting button on the horizontal green bar.

3. Click the first link in the drop down menu to get to your hosting account.

4. On the new window, click the Manage Account link next to the name of the site you want to work with.

5. You should see a bunch of grey bars now, one of which says something like Database. Click it.

6. Click the SQL Server icon.

7. Now, you should see your database with a really cryptic name (since you did the autosetup). To the right of that, you'll see a "pencil" icon. Click that.

8. In the upper left you will see a bunch of Icons, the first of which says something like Backup. Click it.

9. Now, go watch a movie or go fishing. It will take two to two and a half hours for this backup to finish. When it is done, you will have a folder called _db_backups in your webroot, and inside that folder is a backup of your database.

Dagonus wrote:

To update:

"Just install as normal PA." by normal do they mean as a clean install?

Where are you seeing this? This isn't in the install.txt file I have.

Dagonus wrote:

dotnetnuke directory? How do I get into that on GoDaddy? Have I already used it for something else and just thought of it as something different?

I seriously doubt you're using DotNetNuke but you could be. I've never used it and can't really help you there. DotNetNuke is sort of a website building framework that helps people build fairly robust web sites on Microsoft's .Net platform with relative ease.

Are you doing something like that? Or is the YAF forum pretty much your whole site?

Dagonus wrote:

"Update your database by executing the SQL provider files "*.sql"" How do I do that serverside with godaddy

Again, this isn't in my install.txt for 1.9.3, so I'm not sure what you are reading. But, if you need to run queries on GoDaddy for SQL Server, get back to the screen mentioned above where the pencil is.

1. Don't click the pencil yet. See the cryptic name for your database? Drag over that to highlight it and copy that name. That's your login to your DB.

2. Now click the pencil.

3. Click the button on the upper right that says something like Manage, or Open.

4. You should be at the login screen now. Paste the cryptic DB name and enter your DB password. (If you don't remember your DB password, you can reset it on the previous window that should be behind the one you're on now. There is a Password icon up there next to the one you used to back up your DB.

5. Click the connect button.

What you should see now is a web interface for messing up your database!! 😁

Actually, I've used it a lot, and it works pretty well. In the left frame or panel, toward the bottom you'll see a link to a Query Analyzer. That's where you'll run any queries you need to run.

Dagonus wrote:

"Edit the dnnyafnet.config file and change the "connstr" settings to the correct values for your database." How do I know what the correct values are?

Oy! Ummm, well, this is a tough one, again, because I don't know DotNetNuke, but I can tell you what my connect string for my db.config in YAF looks like and where you can find your own values.

First, get to the screen with the pencil and click it. The new window will have your values.

You need

• Host Name

• Database Name

• User Name

This is from my db.config:

Dagonus wrote:

"Merge .config changes by viewing dnn.config. Then copy the dnnyafnet.config to your DNN root directory." Viewing it... through a browser post installation?

Oh, no. You'll have a much easier time dealing with any file edits locally and then FTPing them to your site. If you don't have an FTP client, there are a lot of free ones available online. I use one called Core FTP Lite and love it. If you don't want to install an FTP Client, GoDaddy supplies one in your Site Manager.

1. Get back to the screen on your hosting account that has all the grey bars. There is one called Content or something like that. Click it.

2. There is a button that says something like FTP Client. Click it.

3. You'll get a new window with your local files on the left, and your web site's files on the right. YOu can transfer files back and forth in this little tool. Work FAST!! It times out really quickly and you have to re-open it and navigate back to where your files are. It's not a very good client, but it works in a pinch!

Dagonus wrote:

Really, I hate to say it, but I need the idiot's version.

No, not at all. This stuff is confusing.

Dagonus wrote:

Is it possible to take out the current messed up install, the database, let GoDaddy AutoInstall 1.9.3 and then restor the old database into it? Just bringing the database up to date?

I don't know with certainty, but I really doubt it. There are likely updates to the database structure/design that you would lose by restoring your old data. The database is not likely to be what's causing you difficulty. Mine updated just fine so far as I can tell. What's killing me is the config files. I still have not resolved those issues.

Good luck with this!!

• Dagonus
    • Dagonus
    • 59.6% (Neutral)
    12 years ago
    Ah! Ok, see here I was an idiot. SourceForge auto expands the DotNetNuke section and then the core files are separate, so I had the DNN stuff downloaded and not the regular. That might explain why it looked like jibberish to me. So I downloaded the Final-BIN-NET35 version that has nothing to do with DNN now.

So most of my questions from before can be disregarded.

Instead, I have fewer questions.

Should I uninstall 1.9.1.7 off of GoDaddy first (Leaving the Database in tact) or just slap 1.9.3 on top or does it not matter one way or the other?

Will I need to change anything in the IIS6 settings? Right now the Forum folder has some things checked on it (Are there any I should definitely have one way or the other for accessibility or security reasons?

Thank a lot so far! You're a lifesaver for me.

DJGray
    • DJGray
    • 88.8% (Honored)
    • YAF Commander
    12 years ago
    Dagonus wrote:

Ah! Ok, see here I was an idiot. SourceForge auto expands the DotNetNuke section

:-d Yep! I made that error once too. Glad you caught it, and no "idiot" label is required.

Dagonus wrote:

Should I uninstall 1.9.1.7 off of GoDaddy first (Leaving the Database in tact) or just slap 1.9.3 on top or does it not matter one way or the other?

Truth be told, I'm not certain of this, however, in the 1.9.4 upgrade instructions, they have us knocking out specific folders. This list is below:

/bin

/classes

/controls

/defs

/editors

/install

/language

/pages

/template

/themes

/web references

Now, I don't have all of those folders in my deployment, and one of them (language) is actually plural, but it makes sense that they are asking us to leave folders like images and upload in place. The real critical piece is your database, so as long as you've got that backed up, I think you're good to go.

Dagonus wrote:

Will I need to change anything in the IIS6 settings?

I don't believe so. What I do know is that you do NOT want to upgrade to IIS7. I made that mistake once prior to installing YAF 1.9.1.8, and it was unsupported. I thought that is no biggie, and that I would just downgrade. Ha!! Not so easy. It took an act of congress to downgrade IIS7 to IIS6 on my hosting account.

Dagonus wrote:

Right now the Forum folder has some things checked on it

I'm not sure what you're looking at here. What screen are you on? In GoDaddy's File Manager under the Content menus, you have checkboxes next to the folders. The checking or unchecking just enables various icons above so you can manipulate the folders you have checked. The unchecked ones are ignored as you are working.

Actually at some point today, if I can find a break in my work schedule, I'm going to restore my 1.9.1.8 and try to migrate it to 1.9.3 and then to 1.9.4. I'm still having trouble with the user table migration routines. Maybe after that, I'll have better answers for you.

Good luck!!

Dagonus wrote:

Thank a lot so far! You're a lifesaver for me.

You're most welcome. I've been helped here too. Just trying to spread the love!! 😁

Dagonus
    • Dagonus
    • 59.6% (Neutral)
    12 years ago
    DJGray wrote:

I'm not sure what you're looking at here. What screen are you on? In GoDaddy's File Manager under the Content menus, you have checkboxes next to the folders. The checking or unchecking just enables various icons above so you can manipulate the folders you have checked. The unchecked ones are ignored as you are working.

Inside hosting management. Content>IIS Management

Anonymous management and Set Application Root were the default setups GoDaddy did.

DJGray
    • DJGray
    • 88.8% (Honored)
    • YAF Commander
    12 years ago
    Dagonus wrote:

Inside hosting management. Content>IIS Management

Anonymous management and Set Application Root were the default setups GoDaddy did.

Hmmmmmm, I have nothing that compares to that.

My only row item is Content Root. It's checked by default, and has a status of "Setup"

Dagonus
    • Dagonus
    • 59.6% (Neutral)
    12 years ago
    So I got the go ahead from the powers that be to give it a try. I get the prompt to create an administrative password and then I get "There has been a serious error loading the forum. No further information is available.

Please contact the administrator if this message persists. " I've contacted myself and I'm not sure what I might have done wrong.

Thoughts? \

Edit: Tried setting a password in app.config. entered the password in /install/ same crash.

Edit2:

Ok I'm going to add a more detailed list of what I did so we'll see what you think.

1. Unzipped.

2. used winmerge to merge all of the new web config(The V191 update one) into the old webconfig.

3. looked at DB.Config file. Scratched my head a lot. I'm assuming this data is what GoDaddy has listed as "Host name" and "database name". Yes?

4. Uncommented Root.

5. Copied Bin and App-Code folders and contents to ~/.

6. Ran /install/default.aspx

That's when I get the error. Then I got to thinking and set the password in app.config. No longer need to create a password, Still get a crash. Then i thought IS6 says it has /forum as a virtual directory. I'm assuming this means it's being treated as root so I commented root again and made sure app_code and Bin were located in /forum/. No change.

Edit 3:

In case it helps. URL reads http://.../forum/Error.aspx?aspxerrorpath=/forum/install/default.aspx

Edit 4: Found a Different SQL string in the SQL data in the Hosting info for GoDaddy in Standard Security format. Do I need to keep

add name="yafnet"[/code] in the  db.config or should I drop that and go straight to what GoDaddy lists as the SQLConnection (.NET) for my DB? I tried it both ways. No apparent change. 

Edit 5: So, I thought I'd try to do the WinMerge again and I must be doing that wrong. It seems to be like all it's doing is taking everything from one and nothing from the other. And the result I'm coming out with now is giving me a Runtime Error when i do install/default.aspx

Edit 6: I tried starting over doing the upgrade from the beginning and no luck. I'm getting the RunTime Error [code]Server Error in '/Forum' Application.
    Runtime Error
    Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
        <system.web>
            <customErrors mode="Off"/>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
        <system.web>
            <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

I set the CustomErrors tag to off and I get the same message.

Thoughts?

logan
    • logan
    • 100% (Exalted)
    • YAF Leader
    12 years ago
    Your db.config should look like this:

server name may be different

<add name="yafnet" connectionString="Data Source=whsql-v24.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net; Initial Catalog=DATABASENAME; User ID=DATABASENAME; Password=PASSWORD;" />

Virtual DIR /Forum should have the check box for set application root checked.

All files stay in /Forum

HTH

test
    Dagonus
    • Dagonus
    • 59.6% (Neutral)
    12 years ago
    Set db.config to that format and /Forum has set application root checked(Somewhere in that I had lost the connectionstring= part.

So that got me past the block. ASP.Net was then having trouble writing a password so I manually set it.

Then I got to the screen that said that I had successfully upgraded. I hit finish.

This is what I got when it redirected me to /Forum

Server Error in '/Forum' Application.
    Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       YAF.Classes.Utils.YafBoardSettings.get_Name() +14
       YAF.Classes.Base.ForumPage.GeneratePageTitle() +203
       YAF.Classes.Base.ForumPage.ForumPage_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +56
       System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e) +0
       System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +99
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +50
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +141
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +627

Thoughts?

Edit: Also, does anonymous access need to be on for the IIS settings?

Edit2: So I did some googling and other said they had similar problems with other things that were fixed by resetting IIS6. Since I can't see how I can do that through GoDaddy I thought I'd try blowign out the folder and then creating another in IIS. I did that and got his error when i try to access it now.

Server Error in '/Forum' Application.
    The control with ID '' requires a ScriptManager on the page. The ScriptManager must appear before any controls that need it.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: The control with ID '' requires a ScriptManager on the page. The ScriptManager must appear before any controls that need it.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[InvalidOperationException: The control with ID '' requires a ScriptManager on the page. The ScriptManager must appear before any controls that need it.]
       System.Web.UI.ExtenderControl.get_ScriptManager() +326597
       System.Web.UI.ExtenderControl.RegisterWithScriptManager() +117
       System.Web.UI.ExtenderControl.OnPreRender(EventArgs e) +19
       AjaxControlToolkit.ExtenderControlBase.OnPreRender(EventArgs e) +32
       AjaxControlToolkit.ModalPopupExtender.OnPreRender(EventArgs e) +61
       System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +80
       System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +171
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +842

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3603; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3053 

Edit3: I saw an older post that said the ASPNET version could be to blame, I isntalled with the 3.5 version of YAF and I have ASP3.5. Should I try the 2.0 Version of YAF anyway?