YAFLogo

rejwan
  • rejwan
  • 52.4% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling Topic Starter
13 years ago
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to make some changes into some pages in the site.

However, whenever I do so, it keeps reverting back to the original DLL file.

When I try to remove it from the references, the compiler throws up a bunch of errors, claiming it can't access the YAF classname.

This is strange since the entire YAF classname is right there in the source codes.

HELP PLEASE :/

Sponsor

mddubs
  • mddubs
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
13 years ago
If you modify a .cs file you must recompile.
UserPostedImage 

www.bunkerhollow.com  | www.careercomputing.com 

When I post fp:mddubs in a topic, I'm leaving my footprint there so I can track it once I get into coding/supporting. (Yes I stole this off Mek 🙂, who stole this off Ederon 🙂 )

rejwan
  • rejwan
  • 52.4% (Neutral)
13 years ago
Obviously I recompiled.

If I use the premade YAF.dll, everything works fine - but all changes I make have no effect.

But when I remove it and try to recompile all the YAF related classes are unrecognized.

Example error:

"Error 2 Could not load file or assembly 'yaf' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. c:\inetpub\wwwroot\yaf\controls\smileys.ascx 2"

Also when I try to debug I get the following error on my breakpoints:

"The breakpoint will not currently be hit. The source code is different from the original version."

logan
  • logan
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Leader
13 years ago
It has been a while but if think if you open the c# project in VS and make your changes

Rebuild the solution and then copy that Yaf.dll to your website the changes will stick.

Keep the original .dll just in case !! This is ver. 1.9.1.8. correct

test
rejwan
  • rejwan
  • 52.4% (Neutral)
13 years ago
I'm using 1.9.0.

But again - the problem is:

1. I can't debug my code

2. I can't change the code (If I change it the compiler simply ignores my changes)

3. If I remove the reference to the yaf.dll file (Which is probably causing my code not to change), the code won't compile

Please help me out here, I can't figure out how to fix this.

mddubs
  • mddubs
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
13 years ago
When you recompile you get a new DLL. If you don't use the new DLL, you won't see your changes. "Using" the new DLL means copying the new one over the old one. If you delete the old DLL and don't replace it with anything then yes, of course, you will get errors.

If you've done all that, and you don't see your change, then your code isn't producing the result you expected. Try a more obvious change until you get the hang of it.

UserPostedImage 

www.bunkerhollow.com  | www.careercomputing.com 

When I post fp:mddubs in a topic, I'm leaving my footprint there so I can track it once I get into coding/supporting. (Yes I stole this off Mek 🙂, who stole this off Ederon 🙂 )

rejwan
  • rejwan
  • 52.4% (Neutral)
13 years ago
Let me clear some things up first:

I've been a game developer for 5 years now, and I've already modified YAF to automatically create and manage private forums for users in the game automatically.

I hadn't touched the YAF code for a year or so, and a recent bug has been discovered which requires immediate fixing.

I'm not sure how to fully explain my problem, so I'll try to rephrash myself.

Any changes I make to the .aspx.cs files are completely ignored when I compile and run the site.

Any breakpoints I try to put in debug do not hit due to the error I've mentioned before.

Also, I'm referring to the yaf.dll file in the \yaf\obj\debug folder in my project - I think that's what causes the compiler to ignore my changes.

However, when I remove that reference, the compiler refuses to recognize the YAF class (Or anything related to it) - while it's already there in the code.

Better now? :/