YAFLogo

atomix
  • atomix
  • 53% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling Topic Starter
15 years ago
Hello there, my name is Ottavio, i came from Italy.
Just to introduce myself, i'm pretty new with ASP.net but i really enjoy learn every day new things about web programming.

Some day ago, while following a web discussion regarding ASP forums, a guy introduced me to your website and after some surfing, i decided to download and try out your product.

In the first time i dwnlded the 1.9.1 Version, really good stuff, fast install and nice to use and manage it.

Then i decided to upgrade to last version 1.9.3. Everything was ok.

My problem was (and still now) to make my webportal user (membership api) to log on in da forum without re insert a new username and password, so using the actual configured user.

Now, my question: is it possibile? how can i merge actual users with forum users? Is it possibile?
In the Db.config file i've tryed to set as my default db, the same where membership role are configured. I've checked with SQL Server Management Studio Express and YAF creates own tables on that database. When i lunch web intallation, i cannot resume existing users.. Probly have to config something in some .config file... Any ideas?

Best regards and really nice job.

Ottavio.
Sponsor

chrisgr
  • chrisgr
  • 67.4% (Friendly)
  • YAF Forumling
15 years ago
*********When i lunch web intallation, i cannot resume existing users..********

When you integrate into an existing membership with 2 databases (yours and Yaf), the users are only added to the Yaf database when they are logged on and enter the forum for the first time in 1.9.3. As far as upgrading, I can't help. I started with 1.9.3 from the get go. To get around the problem of having them added to the yaf db, I use the Yaf logon (or you could use your own) and redirect them immediately to the forums (in my case the pm module). This way they are added when they logon. I may try to find a work around in the future so when a user is signed up, they are added to the yaf db tables.

Integrating into another site is covered in great detail here. Just have to hunt and read all. Hopefully you can read english well. Maybe it would be best to erase what you have and start fresh with 1.9.3? I'm a noob at this also. Patience and determination will prevail. Great product! Look in the 1.9.3 subsection of the Bugs and problems sections for more detailed info from the experts.

Good luck!!
Oh, and welcome!
atomix
  • atomix
  • 53% (Neutral)
15 years ago
dear mate, many thx for you first help 🙂 I guess that my problem is located on my web.config, i have to merge my actual website webconfig with the forum web.config.

This is my website (you can see Profile Membership and Role conf)

type="System.Web.Security.SqlRoleProvider, System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" />

connectionStringName="MioDatabase"
applicationName="/"
type="System.Web.Profile.SqlProfileProvider" />

enablePasswordReset="true" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false" applicationName="/"
requiresUniqueEmail="false" passwordFormat="Hashed" maxInvalidPasswordAttempts="5"
minRequiredPasswordLength="2" minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="0"
passwordAttemptWindow="10" passwordStrengthRegularExpression=""
name="AspNetSqlMembershipProvider" type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider, System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" />

type="System.Web.Security.SqlRoleProvider, System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" />

connectionStringName="MioDatabase"
applicationName="/"
type="System.Web.Profile.SqlProfileProvider" />

enablePasswordReset="true" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false" applicationName="/"
requiresUniqueEmail="false" passwordFormat="Hashed" maxInvalidPasswordAttempts="5"
minRequiredPasswordLength="2" minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="0"
passwordAttemptWindow="10" passwordStrengthRegularExpression=""
name="AspNetSqlMembershipProvider" type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider, System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" />

========================================================================================================================
========================================================================================================================
And this is my forum webconfig

==========================================================================================================================================================
==========================================================================================================================================================

Can som1 help me with that merge?

Thank you
atomix
  • atomix
  • 53% (Neutral)
15 years ago
Well, sorry for the wall of text.
I make some "homemade" fix to my webconfig, now i can finish the installation with existing users.

i've used that code on my web.config

applicationName="/"
name="AspNetSqlRoleProvider"

defaultProvider="AspNetSqlProfileProvider"
inherits="YAF.Classes.Utils.YafUserProfile">

connectionStringName="yafnet"
applicationName="/"
type="System.Web.Profile.SqlProfileProvider"/>

enablePasswordRetrieval="false"
enablePasswordReset="true"
requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false"
applicationName="/"
requiresUniqueEmail="false"
passwordFormat="Hashed"
maxInvalidPasswordAttempts="5"
minRequiredPasswordLength="2"
minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="0"
passwordAttemptWindow="10"
passwordStrengthRegularExpression=""
name="AspNetSqlMembershipProvider"
type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider, System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" />

========================================================================================================

Well, the good thing: now i can browse forum with existing users. (cool!)
the bad thing is that when i do something like: see members list, add a new topic, see an user profile, i recive an error in that part of my code in context.cs

public YafUserProfile GetProfile( string userName )
{
return YafUserProfile.Create( userName ) as YafUserProfile;
}

null value.

any idea? sorry for the spam, hope to learn asap to use and configure this forum in order to help other noobs like me in the future 🙂
mddubs
  • mddubs
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
15 years ago
This is how I do it:

http://bunkerhollow.com/blogs/matt/archive/2008/10/27/integrate-yetanotherforum-with-your-net-site-from-source.aspx 
UserPostedImage 
www.bunkerhollow.com  | www.careercomputing.com 
When I post fp:mddubs in a topic, I'm leaving my footprint there so I can track it once I get into coding/supporting. (Yes I stole this off Mek 🙂, who stole this off Ederon 🙂 )
atomix
  • atomix
  • 53% (Neutral)
15 years ago
Fix Fix AGAIN!!

Just need to add proprieties to my stupid web.config.

Now Anythings works properly!

I'm happy like a kid back to school with a good vote from his teacher!!

Really sorry for my terrible english and for heavy spam.

Btw hope this post could help som1 fixing his problem!

Have a good day 🙂
YAF Logo Copyright © YetAnotherForum.NET & Ingo Herbote. All rights reserved
About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.