dasharp
  •  dasharp
  • 53% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling Topic Starter
2008-12-24T11:50:19Z
I have just installed YAF-v1.9.3-RC2-SRC and have run into a problem or two. It is running on Windows Server 2003 with ASP.Net Framework 3.5 (without SP1). I replaced the System.Web.Extensions and System.Web.Extensions.Design with a newer one (version 3.5.30729.1) to get rid of the duplicate ScriptManager problem, and ran the install. Once the istall finished successfully, I am now getting the following error when I try to go to the website:

Server Error in '/' Application.

The control with ID '' requires a ScriptManager on the page. The ScriptManager must appear before any controls that need it.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: The control with ID '' requires a ScriptManager on the page. The ScriptManager must appear before any controls that need it.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[InvalidOperationException: The control with ID '' requires a ScriptManager on the page. The ScriptManager must appear before any controls that need it.]
System.Web.UI.ExtenderControl.get_ScriptManager() +198
System.Web.UI.ExtenderControl.RegisterWithScriptManager() +151
System.Web.UI.ExtenderControl.OnPreRender(EventArgs e) +17
AjaxControlToolkit.ExtenderControlBase.OnPreRender(EventArgs e) +29
AjaxControlToolkit.ModalPopupExtender.OnPreRender(EventArgs e) +65
System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +86
System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +170
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2041

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.1433; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.1433

I tried adding a ScriptManager to the Default.aspx, but that didn't work. I tried running the app in Debug mode in VS2008, but it never stopped before this error popped up.

This can be seen by going to www.SWDWeb.com  (hosted at Sphere Web Hosting).

Any thoughts on what I need to do?

Thanks.

Don Sharp
Sponsor
dasharp
  •  dasharp
  • 53% (Neutral)
2008-12-24T12:25:20Z
I just ran the app in Debug mode and this time added breakpoints everywhere there is a ScriptManager reference, and it seems like the duplicate instance of Scriptmanager still exists, even though there are no errors when building. I have attached a snapshot of the value of ScriptManager the first time it is encountered in the app. QuickWatch shows the value as:

| ScriptManager.GetCurrent( Page ) | The type 'System.Web.UI.ScriptManager' exists in both 'System.Web.Extensions.dll' and 'System.Web.Extensions.dll' |

This is at Line 89 in AppCode/YAF/Forums.cs.

I have removed System.Web.Extensions from the GAC reference and only have one instance of that DLL in the /Bin folder.

Maybe this will help identify the problem?? :roll:

Thanks.

Don Sharp

dasharp attached the following image(s):
logan
  •  logan
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Leader
2008-12-24T12:38:11Z
same problem as here.
try adding the runtime.

did you convert the project when you first ran it in VS.

http://forum.yetanotherf...rror-Message-CS0433.aspx 
test
dasharp
  •  dasharp
  • 53% (Neutral)
2008-12-24T12:40:25Z
VS didn't ask to convert it when I open the project. I'll try the suggestion in that link.

Thanks.

Don Sharp
dasharp
  •  dasharp
  • 53% (Neutral)
2008-12-24T12:44:45Z
That did it - adding:

<runtime>
<assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
<dependentAssembly>
<assemblyIdentity name="System.Web.Extensions" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35"/>
<bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.0.0-1.1.0.0" newVersion="3.5.0.0"/>
</dependentAssembly>
<dependentAssembly>
<assemblyIdentity name="System.Web.Extensions.Design" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35"/>
<bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.0.0-1.1.0.0" newVersion="3.5.0.0"/>
</dependentAssembly>
</assemblyBinding>
</runtime>

to the web.config file was the magic touch.

Thanks.

Don Sharp
Wardy
  •  Wardy
  • 55.4% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling
2009-01-28T06:51:40Z
Odd ...

I have that config entry and yet I still get that error !!!
GRRRRR .... I've spent the best part of 24 hours straight on this now, think i'm gonna give up in a minute !!!
Jaben
  •  Jaben
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2009-01-28T15:48:20Z
Just remove the System.Web.Extensions.dll files from the /bin. Seriously thinking about releasing a NET v3.5 version of YAF for the next release.
mddubs
2009-01-28T17:32:41Z
Jaben wrote:

Seriously thinking about releasing a NET v3.5 version of YAF for the next release.

I'm all for that!
UserPostedImage 
www.bunkerhollow.com  | www.careercomputing.com 
When I post fp:mddubs in a topic, I'm leaving my footprint there so I can track it once I get into coding/supporting. (Yes I stole this off Mek 🙂, who stole this off Ederon 🙂 )

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.