YAFLogo

Prospector
  • Prospector
  • 52.4% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling Topic Starter
2008-08-18T16:14:22Z
After reading and reading, and never successfully creating a forum for Members Only, and never finding an answer, I finally came upon the trick to make it work.

I went to the Admin menu, and under the header "Groups and Users", click on "Access Masks", then click on "New Access Mask". I created one called "No Guests", left ALL check blocks blank, and saved it.

Then, when creating the new forum, you select "invisible if no access" and save initially as Admin mask.

The next screen at the bottom will be who has access. This will be normal for all users, but with the Guest user, instead of selecting for the Guest "Read Only Access Mask", you select "No Guests".

Save it, and then open up the new forum and type a test message. save it and log out, go back in to your forum and not sign in, you will NOT see the forum "Members Only" as even being available.

Worked for me! (finally!).

I am sure you can create a forum called "Moderators only", and create a new access mask called Moderators Only, and select that and the Admin as the only ones who have access, and it is marked as

Invisible if no access in the setting up of it.

Sponsor
ddscart
  • ddscart
  • 88.4% (Honored)
  • YAF Lover
2008-10-09T19:18:56Z
You have a method that will make a private forum, at least from inside the forum. Be aware that no forum is private!! Just go to Google and search your site name and the whole forum will come up. If you bring up a post in your private forum a search page will come up. Type in a common word like “I, you, and” or worse yet, a period. Then click on search and every post in the private forum will come up. Completely bypassing any logon requirements.

ddscart

www.ddscart.orgUserPostedImageddscart@ddscart.org

Disabled Dachshund Society of Georgia

Ederon
  • Ederon
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2008-10-10T02:54:02Z
ddscart wrote:

You have a method that will make a private forum, at least from inside the forum. Be aware that no forum is private!! Just go to Google and search your site name and the whole forum will come up. If you bring up a post in your private forum a search page will come up. Type in a common word like “I, you, and” or worse yet, a period. Then click on search and every post in the private forum will come up. Completely bypassing any logon requirements.

ddscart

This isn't true. When you set "Hide if no access" flag on forum, it is not visible to any user without read access. Including Google ;)

If you can find posts from your private forum on google, then it must be because:

• the forum used to be open, then turned private but google already indexed it during the time forum was public

• access masks are improperly set and guests have read access

Make sure you have access mask with no permissions (i.e. no checkboxes checked), like "No Access" mask. In older versions, this access mask wasn't included in out of box installation. Then assign this access mask to every user group (most importantly "Guests" (or unregistered users) in forums which are supposed to be private.

When I post FP:Ederon in a topic, I'm leaving my footprint there so I can track it once I get into coding/supporting.

UserPostedImage 

Prospector
  • Prospector
  • 52.4% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling Topic Starter
2008-10-10T05:10:46Z
ddscart wrote:

ddscart

I looked at your suggestion, and I did the Google thing, brought up my site and did a search for the word "wow" and got 6 pages of posts, and none where from the private area. So it is private from the eyes of the general public.

Thank you for suggesting this, I probably would never had verified the security was indeed secure without your suggestion.

Ederon is probably right that only older posts that got indexed in to the search engines would show, however, I created the area and made it members only prior to any posts.

ddscart
  • ddscart
  • 88.4% (Honored)
  • YAF Lover
2008-10-10T17:11:22Z
I set my private forum up to the tee, by Ederon’s list above even called everything the same name by chance. Today I created a new forum and used random Alfa-numerical names and descriptions to stop any cross-references from old data. I set it up as listed above and then made a phony post containing 50 or so random keystrokes. Went out for a smoke, then went to Google, found a post that said search ddscart’s forums and clicked on it. The search box that popped up is the search box in my forum. I clicked the dropdown box and there was the private forum and all it’s posts.

While I thinking what to call you, the search box that came up bothered me until it hit me. I went back and changed names and reposted. Then to Google, but first I logged out! I did not find the private forum. I have auto logon and I believe when Google sent me to the search box in my forum, I auto-logged on and having permission to read, I could!

I can auto-log on only as long as I don’t log-off the previous session. That brings up a new security issue. If you don’t log-off anyone who comes to your computer while your gone, can enter the private forum.

For what its worth!!

ddscart

www.ddscart.orgUserPostedImageddscart@ddscart.org

Disabled Dachshund Society of Georgia

rumblepup
2008-11-13T07:41:51Z
Works like a charm!