bluelight
  •  bluelight
  • 53% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling Topic Starter
2008-07-08T11:40:38Z
Hello all,

I am writing this post to give my views on the future of forum softwares, specifically YAF, if anyone is interested.
I strongly believe like many others in Web 2.0 applications rapid changes will make obsolete older technologies. Moving towards platforms: Flash and Silverlight,streaming, AJAX /seamless appearing functions. I think it would be a good forward thinking enhancement if the YAF team / Jaben decided to utilize the recently published YouTube API. The API allows for direct upload to a users youtube account through the host application(YAF). There is a Google Code Project that ports the API to a .NET library.
You can download the SDK here
http://code.google.com/p/google-gdata/ 

I have been tinkering with the SDK and it works fine.
I envision forum software weather it is vBulletin / phpBB / YAF all moving towards a Forum Posting platform that allows for video in addition to text in the posting. Maybe a thumbnail AJAX preview if a video is attached in the thread listing. These are enhancements that we should consider as a community. Maybe begin to phase this. I am a intermediate ASP.NET Web Developer and I am attempting to build a solution which integrates the YouTube API into YAF.

Uploading a Video is as simple as the code below

using Google.GData.YouTube;
using Google.GData.Client;
using Google.GData.Extensions.MediaRss;

YouTubeService service = new YouTubeService(accountName, registrationID, applicationKey);
                service.Credentials = new GDataCredentials("username", "password");

YouTubeEntry entry = new YouTubeEntry();
                entry.MediaSource = new MediaFileSource(FileName, extension);

entry.Media = new MediaGroup();
                entry.Media.Title = new MediaTitle();
                entry.Media.Description = new MediaDescription();
                entry.Media.Keywords = new MediaKeywords();

// entry.Media.Categories

MediaCategory category = new MediaCategory("Nonprofit");
                category.Attributes["scheme"] = YouTubeService.DefaultCategory;

entry.Media.Categories.Add(category);

YouTubeEntry newEntry = service.Upload(YoutubeUsername, entry);

Let me know what you guys think...........
Sponsor
user2008
2008-08-11T14:20:19Z
I just started doing some coding too. where are good coding resources? Google's C# examples are sparse in some areas.
test2005
2008-08-12T01:51:27Z

I understand your point. However, from my point of view, the pupose of YAF is to create your own "community groups". Not piggy-back onto someone else's.

YAF currently has the ability to display YouTube posted video in the forum. Which is outstanding ( Thanks Jaben! ). But I don't think giving YAF the ability to upload would be in YAF's best interest. YAF is after all a forum, not a community portal.

I agree with your statements on technology. So do the YAF development team, and members of this community as everyone keeps YAF "up to speed" with the latest and greatest.

However, this does not stop you developing this feature for YAF yourself. I'm sure other users, as already stated, are interested in this mod.

Have you given any thought to the badwidth requirement this would have on your server/hosting account?

.....the man in black fled across the desert..........and the gunslinger followed.....
bluelight
  •  bluelight
  • 53% (Neutral)
2008-08-18T11:26:35Z
test2005 wrote:

I understand your point. However, from my point of view, the pupose of YAF is to create your own "community groups". Not piggy-back onto someone else's.

YAF currently has the ability to display YouTube posted video in the forum. Which is outstanding ( Thanks Jaben! ). But I don't think giving YAF the ability to upload would be in YAF's best interest. YAF is after all a forum, not a community portal.

I agree with your statements on technology. So do the YAF development team, and members of this community as everyone keeps YAF "up to speed" with the latest and greatest.

However, this does not stop you developing this feature for YAF yourself. I'm sure other users, as already stated, are interested in this mod.

Have you given any thought to the badwidth requirement this would have on your server/hosting account?

yes I have thought about bandwidth requirements. The uploads are not hosted on my (or your) servers. YouTube's API allows direct upload to their servers.
The only thing required on the YAF side is a link to the authentication feature that is required. From a YAF forum you link to the authentication youtube page where a registered youtube user authorizes the corresponding YAF forum site to access the youtube api via their account. Therefore its as if they are directly uploading through youtube and not your servers. Only thing we need to store is the videoID from YouTube, so we can directly link it to a post.
bluelight
  •  bluelight
  • 53% (Neutral)
2008-08-18T11:27:37Z
user2008 wrote:

I just started doing some coding too. where are good coding resources? Google's C# examples are sparse in some areas.

http://code.google.com/apis/youtube/developers_guide_dotnet.html#UploadingVideos

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.