Don_Thrash
2008-05-31T08:13:29Z
So Jaben,

We are about to test this beast out, thanks for ALL the hard work team of developers.

That being said, if we green light it on our site, can we move this to production and still be able to upgrade to the release? Or will we be stuck on the beta if we go live?

Thanks,

Don
Don Alcombright
Thrash Magazine  - Check out my forum! 
"thrash harder!"
wesclyburn
2008-06-04T06:54:40Z
Yes, thank you! Seriously. Such clean integration with membership/role/profile from such a nice forum system is exactly, precisely what I've needed for a long time.
Jaben
  •  Jaben
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer Topic Starter
2008-06-04T11:33:54Z
Don_Thrash wrote:

So Jaben,

We are about to test this beast out, thanks for ALL the hard work team of developers.

That being said, if we green light it on our site, can we move this to production and still be able to upgrade to the release? Or will we be stuck on the beta if we go live?

Thanks,

Don

Well, my only concern is that there are still issues being ironed out. Granted, they are not show-stoppers, but I just want to be forthright.

But, there will be no problem upgrading from BETA to Release, of course.
ekaleido
2008-06-05T11:43:47Z
Where can I find documentation on integrating it with ASP Membership? I want to run YAF outside of DNN but using the same membership. I can't find any docs on ASP.NET Membership. Thanks!
SharpeInc
2008-06-06T00:39:36Z
I cant say thank enough!
Finally it works cleanly with asp.net providers, thank you!!!

The only thing id ask: is can you provide more detailed update logs (eg: which projects / files have been updated), as im currently manually having to compare files (not fun!).

Especially in regards to any changes to the "YAF.Classes.Data" or "YAF.classes.Providers" projects and any database changes, as ive rewritten the database schema to tie in with an existing project im integrating with (basically just refactored it to tie in with our database naming convensions).

Thanks again!
SharpeInc
2008-06-06T00:50:37Z
PS: Any chance of hosting it on a SVN server eg: CodePlex, as then i could use Client diff tools for update comparisons?

Thanks, again!

wesclyburn
2008-06-06T07:09:26Z
Actually, Sourceforge has SVN. I've done modifications to fix Medium Trust and target 3.5, and I'm using Tortoise to work with the YAF repository. They're even pretty good at logging their commit.
Mek
  •  Mek
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2008-06-06T12:51:46Z
Quote:

I've done modifications to fix Medium Trust

Interesting, anything you can share with the community? As i'd like to know the problems with Medium trust.

UserPostedImage 

"It's a case of RTFM.. the only problem being we don't have a manual!"

When I post FP:Mek in a topic, I'm leaving my footprint there so I can track it once I get into coding/supporting. (Yes I stole this off Ederon 🙂 )
wesclyburn
2008-06-07T00:19:29Z
Sure, there were two issues, iirc. Both are very simple to fix.

1. PMList's View property used a TypeConverter that did things not allowed in Medium, like the way it uses reflection.

PMView's only purpose was to indicate the mode, with almost all of its work being simply converting from string and serializing itself. It did't really *do* anything other than say "I'm Inbox mode". So I changed PMView to an enum.

public enum PMView
  {
      Inbox = 0,
      Outbox,
      Archive
  }

That way the code using PMView didn't need to change much. They could still test with "View == PMView.Inbox", and the markup in cp_pm.ascx (View="Inbox") didn't need to change either.

I had to refactor the FromQueryString and ToQueryStrinParam methods. I made them part of the PMList class instead.

I completely removed PMViewTypeConverter since it wasn't needed anymore, and removed the associated attribute from PMList.View .

Regression tests showed no problems from this change.

2. YAF.Classes.Utils.SendMailThread.SendMailThreaded() wanted to assign HttpContext.Current, and that throws a security exception in Medium. I oouldn't figure out why HttpContext.Current was needed, since the method will be running outside of any httpcontext anyway, so I removed the assignment and changed the test for null to test against _appContext instead (not even sure that SendMailThread needs _appContext, but I left it).

So far no problems with this-- mails re going out.

I'd be happy to crank out a patch file in Tortoise for merging if you'd like. The other changes are just referencing the 3.5 assemblies and the 3.5 AjaxControlToolkit assembly. I just needed to get YAF working well with VS 2008 and 3.5 .

MicScoTho
2008-06-07T05:09:10Z
If you'd like to email me the changed files (or create a patch) for the PM-related changes I'd be happy to integrate those for you.

Edit: I've integrated wesclyburn's PM-related changes.
ca4nul
  •  ca4nul
  • 60.2% (Friendly)
  • YAF Forumling
2008-06-10T02:24:05Z
hi all

well i have not tested new release yet but i'm using old release and i have some very small seo suggestions. So that before releasing it will be more seo friendly (like vBulletin )

if you people like i'll send it here

thanks

Good Luck
trungtd_vtic
2008-06-10T18:07:19Z
when i setup forum. I found a error. It message is
UserPostedImage
could you tell me how to fix this error.
:wink:
Jaben
  •  Jaben
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer Topic Starter
2008-06-10T19:05:25Z
Just refresh and it will fix. I'll update the code to reflect this minor bug fix on a new installation.
ahsan
  •  ahsan
  • 54.8% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling
2008-06-12T04:51:15Z
How straight forward is it to upgrade from the 1.9.3 alpha to the new beta? The install.txt only shows options for upgrading from 1.9.1.x and below, or new installations. Has the DB changed at all from the alpha?
ahsan
  •  ahsan
  • 54.8% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling
2008-06-12T06:13:03Z
I ran the the beta install to upgrade a database that the 1.9.3 alpha installed on it. The installation procedure said it completed successfully, but redirected me to the forum homepage where I received the following error:

Server Error in '/YetAnotherForum.NET-beta' Application.

Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'UserID', table 'YAF-playground.dbo.yaf_UserGroup'; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails.
The statement has been terminated.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'UserID', table 'YAF-playground.dbo.yaf_UserGroup'; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails.
The statement has been terminated.

Source Error:

Line 106: this.Controls.AddAt( 0, _header );
Line 107:
Line 108: this.Controls.Add( forumControl );
Line 109:
Line 110: // add the footer control after the page...