tecman
  •  tecman
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF All-the-Time Topic Starter
2021-03-17T16:29:32Z
In our forum we see the topic name as the title of the topic's HTML page. Is there an ability to add the board name to these titles? This could look like "<topic name> - <board name>" or "<topic name> | <board name>".
Still running YAF 2.31.9.
Sponsor
tha_watcha
2021-03-18T18:25:13Z
No, at the moment its not possible. Only by modifying the source. But its a good idea. Will be added to the next release.
UserPostedImage
tecman
  •  tecman
  • 100% (Exalted)
2021-03-19T06:45:53Z
How to modify the current source to get this? This should be a simple modification, I guess. I am even ready to write a static string to add to topic titles, not the board name. But if it's possible to add the board name, tell me how. TIA
tha_watcha
2021-03-19T07:28:16Z
Originally Posted by: tecman 

How to modify the current source to get this? This should be a simple modification, I guess. I am even ready to write a static string to add to topic titles, not the board name. But if it's possible to add the board name, tell me how. TIA

https://github.com/YAFNE...TitleForumModule.cs#L160 

You only need to set this bool to true

addBoardName = true;

UserPostedImage
tecman
  •  tecman
  • 100% (Exalted)
2021-03-19T16:04:10Z
If I get you right, I need to modify the source code and then recompile the whole solution. I doubt it will be simple for me. I already dealt with that when I tried to enhance the simplex theme css files...

Well, if I can't get what I need by changing the files I deploy to the server, I will be waiting for the built-in implementation of this feature in the next release.

Just one suggestion. Implement a template to add a board name to the topic title. It should be something like "{0} - {1}" in which {0} is the topic title and {1} is the board name. You know what {0} and {1} mean in the context of .NET and its String.Format() function 🙂
tecman
  •  tecman
  • 100% (Exalted)
2021-04-05T11:10:12Z
Did you implement this feature in the v2.31.14 released recently?
tha_watcha
2021-04-05T13:04:42Z

Did you implement this feature in the v2.31.14 released recently?

According to the change log, I would guess yes.
UserPostedImage
tecman
  •  tecman
  • 100% (Exalted)
2021-04-05T14:02:56Z
Is this feature enabled automatically or there is no switch for that? Do we have an ability to specify a template for our board titles (something like "{0} - {1}")?
tha_watcha
2021-04-05T17:09:53Z
The features is always on. And no template, but I think it would be a good idea to make the separator changeable.
UserPostedImage
tecman
  •  tecman
  • 100% (Exalted)
2021-04-06T04:57:00Z
What template is used now?
tha_watcha
2021-04-06T06:24:49Z

What template is used now?

Just look at this page 😉

At the moment the · is used

UserPostedImage
tecman
  •  tecman
  • 100% (Exalted)
2021-04-06T06:47:33Z
You use two '-'s :)

If you hard-coded the template "{page title} {separator} {board name}" and will allow to change the separator, this will work for us because currently we are using "{page title} | {board name}" for the main part of our website. However, I would recommend that you provided the ability to change the whole template for the general case. As a software developer, I see no problems with implementing this. This opens many possibilities like removing the board name at all from page title and the like - which will make ALL customers of the YAF forum engine happy.

Any chance to implement this in the next YAF 2.31.15 update?
tha_watcha
2021-04-06T09:56:03Z

no its a dot not two dashes

If you hard-coded the template "{page title} {separator} {board name}" and will allow to change the separator, this will work for us because currently we are using "{page title} | {board name}" for the main part of our website. However, I would recommend that you provided the ability to change the whole template for the general case. As a software developer, I see no problems with implementing this. This opens many possibilities like removing the board name at all from page title and the like - which will make ALL customers of the YAF forum engine happy.

Yes its probably a good idea.

UserPostedImage
tha_watcha
2021-04-06T09:56:06Z

no its a dot not two dashes

Yes its probably a good idea.

UserPostedImage
tecman
  •  tecman
  • 100% (Exalted)
2021-04-06T10:12:36Z
Two dots? Yes, really, but this is hardly noticeable. I need the vertical line |, and just one - between the topic title and the board name.

Any chance to see this in YAF 2.31.15? If yes, then I will be waiting for this release, and upgrade our forum engine then.

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.