YAFLogo

Zero2Cool
8 years ago
What? How the hell do you accidentally delete and entire thread? lol If they accidentally hit Delete Topic, it was not deleted. That's actually one of my gripes. Clicking Delete actually doesn't delete, it just changes a flag or field to exclude it from being listed.

Oh well, nothing I'm gonna lose sleep over. 🙂 Glad you got all of your issues worked out.
Coleen
  • Coleen
  • 89.2% (Honored)
  • YAF Commander Topic Starter
8 years ago
Well, now I'm back to errors. (Sigh). I'm still on my localhost and the last step was to restore the most recent back-up of my database to make sure I have all the recent posts from my live site before moving to the new hosting service. I did the restore and of course 🤬 I got the same old error:
Quote:

The INSERT statement conflicted with the FOREIGN KEY constraint "FK_yaf_CheckEmail_yaf_User". The conflict occurred in database "yaf2",
table "dbo.yaf_User", column 'UserID'.

So since upgrading fixed it before, I went through the upgrade process again, only this time I did the unzip into the forum directory in my localhost website, just like I did the integration yesterday - slam dunk right? (sigh) Nothing is ever easy!

Now I'm getting this error when running this from IIS: "Invalid language file C:\inetpub\wwwroot\AHeartbreakingChoice\languages\english.xml"

I checked, and the Languae directory IS in the forums directory (it's not supposed to be in the root according to the directions...) I DID make sure to copy/cut the bin dieretory from the forums directory back up in to the root directory, so - this should work right? And it does if I run it through Visual Studio, but if I try to run the install directly from the IIS (as per the directions it should be localhost/aheartbreakingchoice/forums/install/) and the above is the error I'm getting. I can paste the stack trace if needed...

I did Google it, and don't see where anyone here with that error ever got a fix (maybe I'm missing something?) Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
Coleen
  • Coleen
  • 89.2% (Honored)
8 years ago
Well I checked the language file through the w3c xml verifier and it was fine (it should have been, it was just unzipped from the upgrade package.) So I kept looking and tried copying and re-copying all the files over. Then I went back and ran it in both IIS and through Visiual studio, and now I can run the website and click on the forums link on the website (locally of course) and it runs just fine. However, when I try to run the localhost/aheartbreakingchoice/forums/install (as per the upgrade instructions) I now get an error:
Quote:

Compiler Error Message: CS0246: The type or namespace name 'YAF' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

which is the same error (I think) as I was getting yesterday before I realized I missed moving the Bin file into the root directory. So I checked to make absolutey sure that I HAD copied the Bin directory into the root, and yes, I did! (Banging head) So any suggestions? Could this vbe because I had already changed the references in my db.config file t make sure it would connect to the restored database? TIA.
Coleen
  • Coleen
  • 89.2% (Honored)
8 years ago
Fixed one error only to end up with another. We fixed the error in my previous post by including the Bin diretory in BOTH my root directory AND the Forums directory. I don't know if it's supposed to be in both places, but that got rid of the "The type or namespace name 'YAF' could not be found " error.

Now the install started to run and we got to the "Test Database Connection" section of the instalation wizard. When We click on the "Test" button, now we get this error:
Quote:

The ConnectionString property has not been initialized. Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: The ConnectionString property has not been initialized.

However, we've checked and double checked the connection string in my db.config, and we've been to the SQL Server and set the user and database there to have the exact same name and password. Any ideas why this won't work? TIA.
tha_watcha
  • tha_watcha
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF.NET Project Lead 🤴 YAF Version: 3.0.3
8 years ago
Originally Posted by: Coleen 

Fixed one error only to end up with another. We fixed the error in my previous post by including the Bin diretory in BOTH my root directory AND the Forums directory. I don't know if it's supposed to be in both places, but that got rid of the "The type or namespace name 'YAF' could not be found " error.

Now the install started to run and we got to the "Test Database Connection" section of the instalation wizard. When We click on the "Test" button, now we get this error:

Quote:

The ConnectionString property has not been initialized. Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: The ConnectionString property has not been initialized.

However, we've checked and double checked the connection string in my db.config, and we've been to the SQL Server and set the user and database there to have the exact same name and password. Any ideas why this won't work? TIA.

Where you able to resolve this issue? If not a good start would be if you post the content of your web.config and db.config.
Coleen
  • Coleen
  • 89.2% (Honored)
8 years ago
Thanks Watcha.

We're starting from scratch. I deleted everything, FTP'd my website, forums and db backup back to my local host, backed it up and started the upgrade process all over again. I'm currently in the middle of trying to get the db connection sorted out (we got an error - if we can't get it resolved I'll post it to see if anyone can see what we're doing wrong.)

Thanks very much, all help is greatly appreciated.
Coleen
  • Coleen
  • 89.2% (Honored)
8 years ago
http://blog.sqlauthority.com/2007/02/15/sql-server-fix-error-15023-user-already-exists-in-current-database/  and used it to fix the discrepancy between the two users and now I can connect and see if the upgrade fixed the errors with the checkemail table. I'll keep you all posted (or be back to ask more questions!)

Thanks again to everyone who has helped with this!
Coleen
  • Coleen
  • 89.2% (Honored)
8 years ago
Eureka! Well, this is now working perfectly on my local host - all user login errors (so far) have been fixed by completely staring over, restoring the database, upgrading the forums and running the scripts from the link above!

Now, to move this WORKING copy up to my new hosting service! Wish me luck!
Coleen
  • Coleen
  • 89.2% (Honored)
8 years ago
I FINALLY got this working on the new hosting service! What a PITA! Actually though, the biggest issue was NOT in the FTP'ing up the code and changing my connection strings for the new SQL Server, the biggest issue was getting them to set up a new login user with the proper rights. Once that was done and the login user weas "married" to the database user, it connected perfectly! I was then able to do the upgrade on=-line and ta-da! It works! Only a few little bugs to iron out. Well, maybe more than minor bugs...

Has anyone ever had the interior page links from their website break on moving to a new hosting service? All my interior page links - and by that I mean links that are coded as ~domainname/secondarypage.aspx in their navigation just stop working? I mean when you click on them, instead of opening the page within the website, it goes nowhere? Weird and not a Yaf issues - just curious if this has ever happened to anyone else...

OTherwise, all is well. If anyone has questions on how I did this, I think I'm an expert now at integrating the forums into an existing website and upgrading - I've done about ten times now, run across almost every conceivable error, and FINALLY had success with the transfer to the hosting stie, restoring the back-up of the previous hosting service's SQL Database, connection to the SQL server on the new hosting sever and upgrading to the newest YAF version! :cheesy:

Now I just have to set up my email on the new server and get the forums email pointing to the new email service. IF I have errors, you may see a new topic from me :wink: Thanks again to everyone who helped - it is very appreciated!
Zero2Cool
8 years ago
I just moved someone from one host over to SmarterASP host without any issue with the links. And that was from version 1.9.3 to 2.1.2. Which host are you with nowadays? They good?

Coleen
  • Coleen
  • 89.2% (Honored)
8 years ago
I took your advice and went with SmarterASP! 🙂 So far, so good - Thanks!
cpetenes
8 years ago
I upgraded my site from 1.9.6 to 2.1.2 last night. I was surprised, it was by far the EASIEST upgrade of this software that I've done to date (been a user since '07). Everything is on one box, so that helps.

All I did:

Stop the website.
Detach and copy the database (SQL Server Express).
Copy the website for backup.
Delete folders as told in readme.
Unzip upgrade to site folder, overwrite whatever was there (killed a few css tweaks. Oops.)
Start site, hit install in Admin.
Go through wizard.
Done.

Site is way faster than 1.9.6. Great upgrade.

http://www.bannedcampforum.org 
YAF Logo Copyright © YetAnotherForum.NET & Ingo Herbote. All rights reserved
About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.