YAFLogo

Coleen
  • Coleen
  • 89.2% (Honored)
  • YAF Commander Topic Starter
11 years ago
I have both MySQL and SQL Server Express. For use with my Yaf.Net forum being tested on my local host, I did use the SQL Server Express. The problem was that it was not working correctly since I had both the version that came with my copy of Visual Studio 2010, and the SQL Server Express 2008 version. Once I COMPLETELY removed both versions (and yes, my husband helped me get into the registry and remove all traces of BOTH versions) then re-install ONLY SQL Server Express, THEN copy over the file recommended-NET-web.config to my yaf root Folder and rename it to web.config.

MySQL had nothing to do with it. The local host by and of itself does NOT contain a database. Visual Studio 2010 does, but it was NOT compatible with the Yaf.net forums (newer/older version?) So that is why I had to delete ALL the SQL files and re-install the correct version that does work with Yaf.net. I'm not certain how or if MySQL works with Yaf, so that is a question for another thread, maybe.

It DOES work just fine on my local host, and uploading the files that I customized on my local host up to the server worked just fine as well. The bottom line is that if you're using your local host, you do still need a database. If you want to install Yaf.net on your local host, like I said, it DOES work, but it DOES require a database that is compatible with Yaf.net.
BrunoSF
  • BrunoSF
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling
10 years ago
Hi everyone!!!

Thanks for providing this amazing application. I'm using the YAF for a one year, approximately.

However, I found a recent difficulty. I always used the YAF with local database SQLExpress 2008. However, the need has arisen to use YAF with remote connection for SQLServer2008 R2.

summarizing:

[list]
  • Using IIS7.5 in server "A" with YAF-v1.9.6.1-RTW-BIN files inside the virtual directory (application): \SiteForum\forumati

• The virtual path \forumati is an aplication folder within IIS7.5

SQLServer2008R2 is on server "B", the same subnet.[/list]

When i used the sqlexpress on the local machine, everything worked perfectly. I believe it is a problem in db.config. How can i configure the db.config file to establish a connection with sqlserver2008R2 on another machine (the same subnet).

Thanks for some help!!

obs: Sorry about my english. :(

Best regards.
    tha_watcha
    • tha_watcha
    • 100% (Exalted)
    • YAF.NET Project Lead 🤴 YAF Version: 3.0.3
    10 years ago
    Quote:

How can i configure the db.config file to establish a connection with sqlserver2008R2 on another machine (the same subnet).

use the address of the server as datasource (for example the ip adress)

<add name="yafnet" connectionString='data source=ipaddress;initial catalog=yafnetdatabasename;uid=USERNAME;pwd=PASSWORD' providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
    YAF Logo Copyright © YetAnotherForum.NET & Ingo Herbote. All rights reserved
    About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.