YAFLogo

jpweber
  • jpweber
  • 94.4% (Exalted)
  • YAF Commander Topic Starter
11 years ago
Hello. I had trouble upgrading from 1.95 ---> 1.96, although tha_watcha, among others, have been a huge help.

Namely, not being a hard core programmer, I had trouble with semantics like "Unzip the file structure YAF-BIN ZIP archive" -- when all I downloaded was "YAF-v1.9.6.1-RTW-SRC".

But that's water under the bridge. Can I just delete everything in my YAF directory and do a fresh install? Is this NOT recommended? My YAF is relatively new, so there are only 11 members, but can I keep my existing database that I already paid for via my web host? Would I just have to name it accordingly during the install?

Thanks for any help anybody can offer!
Jason Weber
USS Vision YAF 
"Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons"
Sponsor

squirrel
11 years ago
Originally Posted by: jpweber 

Hello. I had trouble upgrading from 1.95 ---> 1.96, although tha_watcha, among others, have been a huge help.

Namely, not being a hard core programmer, I had trouble with semantics like "Unzip the file structure YAF-BIN ZIP archive" -- when all I downloaded was "YAF-v1.9.6.1-RTW-SRC".

But that's water under the bridge. Can I just delete everything in my YAF directory and do a fresh install? Is this NOT recommended? My YAF is relatively new, so there are only 11 members, but can I keep my existing database that I already paid for via my web host? Would I just have to name it accordingly during the install?

Thanks for any help anybody can offer!

Essentially, an upgrade involves removing several YAF folders and clearing out files, unzip the archive to a local folder somewhere, update the config files to match your existing settings, then upload the software to the server and run the install wizard, referencing your old database. These are not exact instructions, but a rough 'idea' that you can use with the instructions in the readme file.

Because you are working with source code, what you need to do is setup the project in VS - 'publish' it to the local filesystem after you've made your changes, then upload/upgrade the current site with the new published code. Those are the extra steps in a nutshell...

I don't know what the policy is, but if you need assistance, I would imagine it can be arranged.

I know Jaben offers commercial support especially when it comes to customizing YAF to suit your needs - it might be an option for you --
If you can't find it using the forum search, try my signature link -- searches this site using Google: Google is my Friend 
jpweber
  • jpweber
  • 94.4% (Exalted)
11 years ago
Thanks Squirrel ... I'm using the SRC version because tha_watcha told me how to add fields to the registration page like company name, etc. ... and I needed the source code to do that, and I'm using Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate.

I can manipulate code in VS, although as I said, I'm not a hard core asp.net programmer; I've learned on-the-fly.

Now, are folders such as YAF.Classes, YAF.Controls, YAF.Core, YAF.Extras, etc., are they supposed to be there? When I had 1.95 running up effectively, they weren't there. Should those folders be in the /knowledgebase/ directory where I'm storing my YAF?

And for instance, when I open up a page, such as default.aspx, the top line:
<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" ValidateRequest="false" Inherits="YAF.ForumPageBase" %>

is always underlined in squiggly blue, giving me that runtime error / it is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachinetoApplication' beyond application level ... I right-clicked the folder in IIS 7, but it still gives me that squiggly line. But then again, when 1.95 was working, it was giving me the same error, but it still worked.

Thank you for taking the time to respond -- I appreciate your advice!
Jason Weber
USS Vision YAF 
squirrel
11 years ago
Originally Posted by: jpweber 

Thanks Squirrel ... I'm using the SRC version because tha_watcha told me how to add fields to the registration page like company name, etc. ... and I needed the source code to do that, and I'm using Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate.

I can manipulate code in VS, although as I said, I'm not a hard core asp.net programmer; I've learned on-the-fly.

Now, are folders such as YAF.Classes, YAF.Controls, YAF.Core, YAF.Extras, etc., are they supposed to be there? When I had 1.95 running up effectively, they weren't there. Should those folders be in the /knowledgebase/ directory where I'm storing my YAF?

And for instance, when I open up a page, such as default.aspx, the top line:
<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" ValidateRequest="false" Inherits="YAF.ForumPageBase" %>

is always underlined in squiggly blue, giving me that runtime error / it is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachinetoApplication' beyond application level ... I right-clicked the folder in IIS 7, but it still gives me that squiggly line. But then again, when 1.95 was working, it was giving me the same error, but it still worked.

Thank you for taking the time to respond -- I appreciate your advice!

As to the extra files/folders - when you publish yaf to a folder outside of the 'VS Project' - say the project is in C:\VS2010\Projects\YAF - and you publish yaf to a folder like "c:\YAFPublished, the extra files and folders will not be in the 'published' folder. Additionally, you might need to set VS to compile in "Release" mode and not "Debug" mode as sometimes the SRC packages are set that way.

Regarding the "Illegal to use Machine to Application" error - you need to designate the YAF folder on the server as an 'Application' in IIS (or basically setup a 'Virtual Root') if you don't have access to IIS. Those instructions would be based on the hosting you have and what 'control panel' they offer you to control your webhosting.

If you can't find it using the forum search, try my signature link -- searches this site using Google: Google is my Friend 
jpweber
  • jpweber
  • 94.4% (Exalted)
11 years ago
Thanks Squirrel ... problem solved. I had to make some changes to app,config -- because my YAF is in a directory, knowledgebase, I had to change it in TWO spots (in 1.95, I only changed app.config in 1 sport).

Also, I took off the trailing slashes ... so it's /knowledgebase" /> with no trailing slash.

Finally, I don't know if this is proper or not, but I put the /bin/ directory BOTH in my website root, AND /knowledgebase/ directory.

So all seems to be working well! Thanks again Squirrel!
Jason Weber
USS Vision YAF 
YAF Logo Copyright © YetAnotherForum.NET & Ingo Herbote. All rights reserved
About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.