Zero2Cool
2011-10-29T21:33:25Z
I've been using DotNetNuke with YAF since May with Arvixe hosting. I've read that DNN is a resource hog. I notice it appears this site (which is blazing fast) is not encapsulated by DNN.

My question is, if I removed DNN from my site, would there be a chance my page loads and site efficiency improve?

I went with DNN because it's in C# and I felt it gave me latitude to develop modules of my own, but perhaps I could still create modules myself using MVC and YAF?

The modules I envision are a NFL team schedule with links to the game recap, a Chat (which I have the code for already and just needs a ASP page) and also a NFL Picks application that I'm developing. The only catch is that I need to get the YAF username for the NFL Picks and the Chat to work as desired.
Sponsor
squirrel
2011-10-29T22:01:45Z
Pulling data back from a logged in user is supposed to be very simple with YAF's structure. I'm not fluent in .NET of any form so I can't help you much with how-to, unfortunately.

I know when we dropped DNN off my site/server I saw better load times from the other sites hosted on the server because they weren't being bogged down by DNN's application pool...

On one of my sites, we use a Wibiya toolbar to create the chat feature, allowing the users to use their Facebook/Yahoo/Live IDs and they seem to like it. Was easy to implement and works side/by/side with YAF... On another site, I have a complete social network style package I use, but it's PHP and a pain in the ass to code into...

Most of what you're doing, I could have hammered out in ClassicASP in a few hours/day or two and been done with it - and it would have been up - stable - and fast... I wish I could be of more help to you on that one --
If you can't find it using the forum search, try my signature link -- searches this site using Google: Google is my Friend 
Zero2Cool
2011-10-30T01:13:16Z
I think getting the YAF user will not be difficult. I first have to get the source code running on my local machine. I'm more curious to see anyone hosting a DNN/YAF site and if they are getting good results.
schoolioannou
2011-10-30T08:49:48Z
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I think getting the YAF user will not be difficult. I first have to get the source code running on my local machine. I'm more curious to see anyone hosting a DNN/YAF site and if they are getting good results.

Is there anyone hosting a DNF site?
tha_watcha
2011-10-30T09:03:44Z
Originally Posted by: schoolioannou 

Its runing fine on my site

http://www.watchersnet.de/Service/Forum/tabid/52/language/en-US/Default.aspx 

But its DNN 4.9.5/YAF 1.9.5 and our own Server.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2011-11-01T14:20:21Z
Originally Posted by: tha_watcha 

tha_watcha is a damn genius so he can make anything work flawlessly!

How do you enable the link for Active Topics?
tha_watcha
2011-11-01T16:53:51Z

tha_watcha is a damn genius so he can make anything work flawlessly!

How do you enable the link for Active Topics?

Which link did you mean?

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2011-11-01T18:54:02Z

Which link did you mean?

This here...
Zero2Cool attached the following image(s):
tha_watcha
2011-11-01T19:29:55Z

Which link did you mean?

This here...

You have that link on your forum too, but its only visible as Guest, if you are logged in The Link is called "My Topics" both Links go to the Same Page.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2011-11-01T20:18:54Z

Which link did you mean?

This here...

You have that link on your forum too, but its only visible as Guest, if you are logged in The Link is called "My Topics" both Links go to the Same Page.

I thought maybe it was a list of the ten most active topics where as the active discussion area shows a limit set in the admin/host area.
tha_watcha
2011-11-02T06:39:42Z

Which link did you mean?

This here...

I thought maybe it was a list of the ten most active topics where as the active discussion area shows a limit set in the admin/host area.

Its is a List of Active Topics but it has an Filter "Since" where you can filter From Which Time to Show the Active Topics.

On The My Topic Page There Is also A Second Tab Which shows the Favorite Topics of the User, A Tab which Shows all Unread Topics, and a Tab which shows all Topics you Posted in. The Last 2 Tabs are added in 1.96.
UserPostedImage