• beastboy
  • 51.2% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling Topic Starter
14 years ago
Hosting platform: Windows Server 2008 SP2

dotnet version: 2.0

YAF version: 1.9.3

Problem:

NNTP forum does not retrieve articles from NNTP server. The NNTP server I'm trying to retrieve articles from is msnews.microsoft.com which is a public NNTP server without the need to enter username and password. As soon as I click the "Retrieve" button, I get the following error message. Has anyone got the NNTP forum to work successfully? Thanks in advance.

=== Error Message Begins ===

There has been a serious error loading the forum. No further information is available.

Please contact the administrator if this message persists.

=== Error Message Ends ===

By the way, please excuse me for posting this if there is already a similar thread about the NNTP issue. As a new user of this forum, I cannot find the search feature to find any NNTP related threads. That's why I decided to post a new one here. Thank you for your understanding.

Sponsor
Jaben
  • Jaben
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
14 years ago
Glad someone is playing with NNTP -- a feature that is not used very much.

http://wiki.yetanotherforum.net/TroubleShooting%20CustomErrors.ashx 

And follow the instructions. Then try again and report the exact error you are receiving.

beastboy
  • beastboy
  • 51.2% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling Topic Starter
14 years ago
Thank you for your quick response. Please review the error message below.

Server Error in '/' Application.

Procedure or function yaf_user_save has too many arguments specified.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Procedure or function yaf_user_save has too many arguments specified.

Source Error:

The source code that generated this unhandled exception can only be shown when compiled in debug mode. To enable this, please follow one of the below steps, then request the URL:

1. Add a "Debug=true" directive at the top of the file that generated the error. Example:

<%@ Page Language="C#" Debug="true" %>

or:

2) Add the following section to the configuration file of your application:

Note that this second technique will cause all files within a given application to be compiled in debug mode. The first technique will cause only that particular file to be compiled in debug mode.

Important: Running applications in debug mode does incur a memory/performance overhead. You should make sure that an application has debugging disabled before deploying into production scenario.

Stack Trace:

[SqlException (0x80131904): Procedure or function yaf_user_save has too many arguments specified.]

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) +212

System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +245

System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +2811

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.ConsumeMetaData() +87

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_MetaData() +141

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString) +2481636

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async) +2483169

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result) +424

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method) +28

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteScalar() +194

YAF.Classes.Data.DBAccess.ExecuteScalar(SqlCommand cmd, Boolean transaction) +214

YAF.Classes.Data.DB.user_nntp(Object boardID, Object userName, Object email) +206

YAF.Classes.Utils.Nntp.YafNntp.ReadArticles(Object boardID, Int32 nLastUpdate, Int32 nTimeToRun, Boolean bCreateUsers) +1524

YAF.Pages.Admin.nntpretrieve.Retrieve_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) +166

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +115

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +140

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +29

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2981

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.4016; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.4016

kevinsweb
14 years ago
I am running into a similair problem with the new version,

I am also importing nntp articles from MS and when i try and retrieve any i get the following error

old version 1.91 use to work flawless

here is the info., any help would be appreciated.

By the way, i love the new version but if i cant get this function to work i am going to have to roll back to the old one.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Server Error in '/' Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

String was not recognized as a valid DateTime.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.FormatException: String was not recognized as a valid DateTime.

Source Error:

Line 63: int nSeconds = int.Parse(Seconds.Text);

Line 64: if(nSeconds<1) nSeconds = 30;

Line 65: int nArticleCount = YafNntp.ReadArticles(PageContext.PageBoardID,10,nSeconds,PageContext.BoardSettings.CreateNntpUsers);

Line 66: PageContext.AddLoadMessage(String.Format("Retrieved {0} articles. {1:N2} articles per second.",nArticleCount,(double)nArticleCount/nSeconds));

Line 67: BindData();

Source File: e:\Forums2\pages\admin\nntpretrieve.ascx.cs Line: 65

Stack Trace:

[FormatException: String was not recognized as a valid DateTime.]

System.DateTimeParse.Parse(String s, DateTimeFormatInfo dtfi, DateTimeStyles styles) +2835862

YAF.Classes.Core.Nntp.NntpConnection.GetHeader(String messageId, MIMEPart& part) +761

YAF.Classes.Core.Nntp.NntpConnection.GetArticle(String messageId) +244

YAF.Classes.Core.Nntp.NntpConnection.GetArticle(Int32 articleId) +45

YAF.Classes.Core.Nntp.YafNntp.ReadArticles(Object boardID, Int32 nLastUpdate, Int32 nTimeToRun, Boolean bCreateUsers) +978

YAF.Pages.Admin.nntpretrieve.Retrieve_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in e:\Forums2\pages\admin\nntpretrieve.ascx.cs:65

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +111

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +110

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +10

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +13

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +36

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1565

Jaben
  • Jaben
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
14 years ago
It's just neglected. Needs to go on the list to fix for final. Please contact me via support@tinygecko.com if you are interested in express support on this problem.
rdavidian
14 years ago
Do we know if this will be fixed in 1.9.4 ?
Jaben
  • Jaben
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
14 years ago
Try the latest SVN code.
mmcginty
  • mmcginty
  • 51.8% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling
14 years ago

Try the latest SVN code.

Jaben wrote:

YAF: 1.9.4 (RC1)

.Net: "2.0/3.5" (as stated by provider)

Server: unknown (host is DomainsMadeEasy.com)

I can't get this to work either, no error is reported, no event log is created, it just says "Retrieved 0 articles. 0.00 articles per second." in the notification popup DIV, immediately after clicking retrieve.

I am also trying to import from msnews.microsoft.com, and the window of opportunity is closing, many of the NGs will be shut down on June 1, 2010.

If this feature worked in an older version, is that version available? I could install it on a virtual or something, and handle the data transfer to my live forum on the back end.

TIA,

MM

bbobb
  • bbobb
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
14 years ago
NNTP feature works in current svn, but you are getting each article as a separate topic anyway. The problem was tackled by Jaben and me.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to imlement it at the moment without a lot of work. It gets articles, not headers, so we'll end up with stray articles in every case. Common NNTP readers fetch article headers and read bodies on demand. So a lot of extra code required.

If someone needs it he can sponsor it.

joshihybrid
13 years ago
About what size of sponsoring we are talking about?

At moment I use vBulletin Version 3.6.7 with addons on http://www.netzhilfe24.de/showthread.php/update-microsoft-reagiert-auf-evolution-der-community-4569.html , but the handling of the MySql server when inserting lots of groups via a SQL-Manager is a horror and I want do switch it to MS platform.

Greetings from Berlin

Jan