DJGray
I just completed the upgrade from 1.9.1.8 on GoDaddy to 1.9.4. Everything behaved exactly as the instructions indicated. Upon completing the installation, no one can log in, including the Administrator account. The data appears to be there, because all topics are showing on the site, but all logins are rejected. Password recovery informs the user that they don't exist.

In my case, Administrator and DJGray don't exist. How do I get into the site post upgrade?

Jaben
Make sure you are using the provider settings from the UPGRADE.config file... otherwise, no one will be able to log in.
DJGray
Jaben wrote:

Make sure you are using the provider settings from the UPGRADE.config file... otherwise, no one will be able to log in.

Jaben, Thank you for the reply. I'm confident you are pointing me in the correct direction.

In the ReadMe.htm STEP 3. COPY WEB.CONFIG FILE is broken into two sections; one for the 1.9.1.8 upgraders (me) and one for 1.9.3 upgraders, or at least that's how it appears. I followed the instructions of the first section, renaming the v191-upgrade-web.config and FTPing that to my web root. That's what gave me the issue in question. This morning, I used WINMERGE to merge recommended-web.config to the 191 upgrade config file and then renamed it web.config and FTP'd that to my web root. Still no change.

Clearly there is something I need to do with this web config that I'm not doing.

Any further thoughts or suggestions?

At the moment, I'm going to meticulously walk through Step 3 of the readme again and see if I can't make this work.

DJGray
Still no joy.

This appears to be the section in question. How should this read?

<membership defaultProvider="YafMembershipProvider" hashAlgorithmType="SHA1">
	<providers>
		<clear/>
		<add connectionStringName="yafnet" applicationName="YetAnotherForum" name="YafMembershipProvider" requiresUniqueEmail="true" useSalt="true" type="YAF.Providers.Membership.YafMembershipProvider"/>
	</providers>
</membership>
Mek
Needs to be hashAlgorithmType="MD5" so your using the wrong web.config to base your upgrade off.
There are some other settings as well so check the UPGRADE.config file jaben suggested.

UserPostedImage 

"It's a case of RTFM.. the only problem being we don't have a manual!"

When I post FP:Mek in a topic, I'm leaving my footprint there so I can track it once I get into coding/supporting. (Yes I stole this off Ederon 🙂 )
DJGray
Mek,

Thank you for the reply.

The current web.config in my web root is set to MD5, and still denies login. I have no UPGRADE.config in the zip file. I've tried both the 1.9.1.x upgrade config file and the 1.9.3 upgrade, even though I was upgrading from 1.9.1.8.

I'm completely open to suggestion here. I have run out of ideas on how to fix this other than reverting back to 1.9.1.8 which I really don't want to do. There are so many nice features in 1.9.4.

DJGray
Mek (and Jaben),

The "recommended" web config reads thusly:

<membership defaultProvider="YafMembershipProvider" hashAlgorithmType="SHA1">
	<providers>
		<clear/>
		<add connectionStringName="yafnet" applicationName="YetAnotherForum" name="YafMembershipProvider" requiresUniqueEmail="true" useSalt="true" type="YAF.Providers.Membership.YafMembershipProvider"/>
	</providers>
</membership>

The 1.9.1.x upgrade config reads:

<membership defaultProvider="YafMembershipProvider" hashAlgorithmType="MD5">
	<providers>
		<clear/>
		<add connectionStringName="yafnet" applicationName="YetAnotherForum" name="YafMembershipProvider" requiresUniqueEmail="false" type="YAF.Providers.Membership.YafMembershipProvider" hashHex="true" hashCase="upper" />
	</providers>
</membership>

Both have been tried unsuccessfully. Sorry for the problems. I'm struggling to make sense of it all.

DJGray
Friends, I'm not being lazy, and certainly not trying to be dense here. I've burned hours on this trying to get it to work. There has to be something really simple that I'm doing incorrectly.

I've repeatedly and meticulously walked through the ReadMe.htm instructions for an upgrade from 1.9.1.8 to 1.9.4 b3.

In its current form, the web.config is the v191-upgrade-web.config renamed web.config and ftp'd to the web root. Do I need to edit that file in any way? I did set the requirement for a unique email to "true" but other than that, the file is unchanged. It does have the hashAlgorithmType set to MD5 as Mek indicated.

Thank you very much for any insights you can offer toward resolving this problem.

emiduran
I have the same problem..., this is a nigthmare !!! i have more than 3000 uses and they can't login any more!
DJGray
emiduran wrote:

I have the same problem..., this is a nigthmare !!! i have more than 3000 uses and they can't login any more!

emiduran,

Today, I'm restoring my old install, and will be making an upgrade of that to 1.9.3. Then from there I'm going to try to move to 1.9.4b3. If it works, I'll let you know.

Good news is, you're not alone. I know at least three of us are fighting this battle together. I'm confident between the three (or more) of us, we'll get it beaten into submission!! ;)
kainthedragoonx

I am currently working through this as well, and will post my findings here...

hopefully one of us can figure this junk out!
kainthedragoonx

ok so I just ran through a fresh attempt at installing....still nothing.

Here is what I did this time:

Downloaded 1.9.4, opened in vs 2008, used the upgrade-web.config file, changed the db connection string, added a configuration password to the app.config, then compiled the site with no errors.

Ran the site, stepped through the install process as normal, was told the users are being migrated, and it seemed successful. I attempt to log in, still nothing...users are still listed in the yaf_User table, and still no luck logging in.

👎

I am going to attempt to change over membership stuff to standard ASP.Net membership/roles...hopefully that will make more magic happen!

Web.Config:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<configuration>
	<configSections>
		<sectionGroup name="system.web.extensions" type="System.Web.Configuration.SystemWebExtensionsSectionGroup, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35">
			<sectionGroup name="scripting" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingSectionGroup, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35">
				<section name="scriptResourceHandler" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingScriptResourceHandlerSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>
				<sectionGroup name="webServices" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingWebServicesSectionGroup, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35">
					<section name="jsonSerialization" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingJsonSerializationSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="Everywhere"/>
					<section name="profileService" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingProfileServiceSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>
					<section name="authenticationService" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingAuthenticationServiceSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>
					<section name="roleService" type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingRoleServiceSection, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>
				</sectionGroup>
			</sectionGroup>
		</sectionGroup>
		<section name="rewriter" type="Intelligencia.UrlRewriter.Configuration.RewriterConfigurationSectionHandler, Intelligencia.UrlRewriter" requirePermission="false"/>
	</configSections>
	<connectionStrings configSource="db.config"/>
	<appSettings configSource="app.config"/>
	<rewriter configSource="URLRewriter.config"/>
	<system.net>
		<mailSettings>
			<smtp configSource="mail.config"/>
		</mailSettings>
	</system.net>
	<system.web>
		<trace enabled="false"/>
		<xhtmlConformance mode="Transitional"/>
		<customErrors defaultRedirect="Error.aspx" mode="On"/>
		<globalization requestEncoding="utf-8" responseEncoding="utf-8"/>
		<authentication mode="Forms">
			<forms name=".YAFNET_Authentication" protection="All" timeout="43200" cookieless="UseCookies"/>
		</authentication>
		<!-- Set debug to "true" to test out the system in development -->
		<compilation defaultLanguage="c#" debug="true">
			<assemblies>
				<add assembly="System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>
				<add assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
				<add assembly="System.Data.DataSetExtensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>
				<add assembly="System.Xml.Linq, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>
				<add assembly="System.Windows.Forms, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>
				<add assembly="System.Design, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>
				<add assembly="System.Data.Linq, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"/>
			</assemblies>
		</compilation>
		<httpHandlers>
			<remove verb="*" path="*.asmx"/>
			<add verb="*" path="*.asmx" validate="false" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
			<add verb="*" path="*_AppService.axd" validate="false" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
			<add verb="GET,HEAD" path="ScriptResource.axd" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptResourceHandler, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" validate="false"/>
		</httpHandlers>
		<httpModules>
			<add name="ScriptModule" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptModule, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
			<add name="YafTaskModule" type="YAF.Classes.Core.YafTaskModule, YAF.Classes.Core"/>
			<add name="UrlRewriter" type="Intelligencia.UrlRewriter.RewriterHttpModule,Intelligencia.UrlRewriter"/>
		</httpModules>
		<pages validateRequest="false" smartNavigation="false">
			<controls>
				<add tagPrefix="DotNetAge" namespace="DNA.UI.JQuery" assembly="DNA.UI.JQuery"/>
				<add tagPrefix="DotNetAge" namespace="DNA.UI" assembly="DNA"/>
				<add tagPrefix="asp" namespace="System.Web.UI" assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
				<add tagPrefix="asp" namespace="System.Web.UI.WebControls" assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
				<!-- Default: use non-dynamic (compiled classes) in YAF -->
				<add tagPrefix="YAF" namespace="YAF.Classes.UI" assembly="YAF.Classes.UI"/>
				<add tagPrefix="YAF" namespace="YAF.Classes.Utils" assembly="YAF.Classes.Utils"/>
				<add tagPrefix="YAF" namespace="YAF.Classes.Core" assembly="YAF.Classes.Core"/>
				<add tagPrefix="YAF" namespace="YAF.Classes.Data" assembly="YAF.Classes.Data"/>
				<add tagPrefix="YAF" namespace="YAF.Controls" assembly="YAF.Controls"/>
				<add tagPrefix="YAF" namespace="YAF.Controls.Statistics" assembly="YAF.Controls"/>
				<!-- Optional: use dynamic classes in YAF by moving all the YAF.x directories (YAF.Classes.*, YAF.Providers)
						into the App_Code\YAF directory. Delete the associated .dll files from the \bin directory. Comment out the above 
						"non-dynamic" namespaces above and enable these: 
				-->
				<!--add tagPrefix="YAF" namespace="YAF.Classes.UI" />
				<add tagPrefix="YAF" namespace="YAF.Classes.Utils" />
				<add tagPrefix="YAF" namespace="YAF.Classes.Data" />
				<add tagPrefix="YAF" namespace="YAF.Controls" />
				<add tagPrefix="YAF" namespace="YAF.Classes.Core" />
				<add tagPrefix="YAF" namespace="YAF.Controls.Statistics" /-->
				<add tagPrefix="YAF" namespace="YAF.Classes"/>
				<add tagPrefix="YAF" namespace="YAF"/>
			</controls>
			<namespaces>
				<add namespace="YAF"/>
				<add namespace="YAF.Classes.UI"/>
				<add namespace="YAF.Classes.Utils"/>
				<add namespace="YAF.Classes.Core"/>
				<add namespace="YAF.Controls"/>
				<add namespace="YAF.Classes.Data"/>
			</namespaces>
		</pages>
		<roleManager enabled="true" defaultProvider="YafRoleProvider">
			<providers>
				<clear/>
				<add connectionStringName="yafnet" applicationName="YetAnotherForum" name="YafRoleProvider" type="YAF.Providers.Roles.YafRoleProvider"/>
			</providers>
		</roleManager>
		<membership defaultProvider="YafMembershipProvider" hashAlgorithmType="MD5">
			<providers>
				<clear/>
				<add connectionStringName="yafnet" applicationName="YetAnotherForum" name="YafMembershipProvider" requiresUniqueEmail="false" type="YAF.Providers.Membership.YafMembershipProvider" hashHex="true" hashCase="upper"/>
			</providers>
		</membership>
		<profile enabled="true" defaultProvider="YafProfileProvider" inherits="YAF.Classes.Utils.YafUserProfile">
			<providers>
				<clear/>
				<add connectionStringName="yafnet" applicationName="YetAnotherForum" name="YafProfileProvider" type="YAF.Providers.Profile.YafProfileProvider"/>
			</providers>
		</profile>
	</system.web>
	<system.web.extensions>
		<scripting>
			<!-- 
      		<scriptResourceHandler enableCompression="true" enableCaching="true" />
      		-->
		</scripting>
	</system.web.extensions>
	<system.webServer>
		<validation validateIntegratedModeConfiguration="false"/>
		<modules>
			<remove name="ScriptModule"/>
			<remove name="YafInitModule"/>
			<remove name="UrlRewriter"/>
			<add name="ScriptModule" preCondition="managedHandler" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptModule, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
			<add name="YafTaskModule" type="YAF.Classes.Core.YafTaskModule, YAF.Classes.Core"/>
			<add name="UrlRewriter" type="Intelligencia.UrlRewriter.RewriterHttpModule,Intelligencia.UrlRewriter" preCondition="managedHandler"/>
		</modules>
		<handlers>
			<remove name="WebServiceHandlerFactory-Integrated"/>
			<remove name="ScriptHandlerFactory"/>
			<remove name="ScriptHandlerFactoryAppServices"/>
			<remove name="ScriptResource"/>
			<add name="ScriptHandlerFactory" verb="*" path="*.asmx" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
			<add name="ScriptHandlerFactoryAppServices" verb="*" path="*_AppService.axd" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
			<add name="ScriptResource" preCondition="integratedMode" verb="GET,HEAD" path="ScriptResource.axd" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptResourceHandler, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
		</handlers>
	</system.webServer>
	<system.codedom>
		<compilers>
			<compiler language="c#;cs;csharp" extension=".cs" warningLevel="4" type="Microsoft.CSharp.CSharpCodeProvider, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089">
				<providerOption name="CompilerVersion" value="v3.5"/>
				<providerOption name="WarnAsError" value="false"/>
			</compiler>
			<compiler language="vb;vbs;visualbasic;vbscript" extension=".vb" warningLevel="4" type="Microsoft.VisualBasic.VBCodeProvider, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089">
				<providerOption name="CompilerVersion" value="v3.5"/>
				<providerOption name="OptionInfer" value="true"/>
				<providerOption name="WarnAsError" value="false"/>
			</compiler>
		</compilers>
	</system.codedom>
</configuration>

DJGray
I'm completely out of ideas. I've tried everything I can imagine and had zero success.

My latest attempt was to delete EVERYTHING in my webroot, to restore the DB to its 1.9.1.8 condition (just in case any part of the upgrade attempt succeeded) and to run the 1.9.4b3 install from a condition that is as clean as it could possibly be. The only variable in the equation was the database. I even blew out my images and documents. No one can log in.

I've reached the limits of my technical expertise.

If I knew how to manually migrate the users to the new membership system, I would, but I'm without a clue.

Sadly, this is why I have held off upgrading for so long. I was afraid of something like this. I've tried to restore my 1.9.1.8, and somehow in all this file copying and merging and whatnot, I've corrupted that install and the forum won't load, so I've really got a mess to clean up now.

:cry:

Eye On Whatcom Forums 

Jaben
Can either of you send me a backup of your original v1.9.1.x DB? That would help me considerably as I'd be able to see exactly what is wrong here... otherwise, I'm just guessing as well.

DJGray... yours would be preferable. Remember, all passwords are hashed -- so there is no security problem. I'll also need at least ONE working username/pass combo to test login.

Zip and email to support@yetanotherforum.net and I'll look at it when I have a chance.
DJGray
Jaben wrote:

Can either of you send me a backup of your original v1.9.1.x DB?

Jaben, I'll send you the GoDaddy backup of it. They back it up as a .bak file. I changed the extension to mdf thinking I could open it up in SQL Mgmt Studio, but not so much. Perhaps you can figure out what the story is on this.

If that does not work, I'm certainly willing to give you my GoDaddy account PW and you could use the online query analyzer to take a peek.