gsgill187
Hi,

I am trying to integrate YAF into my existing application in which i have facebook type communities. I want to have a forum for each community on my site and i want only the users of that community to be able to view and access that particular forum.

I am planning to make a separate category called "Community Forums" and add forums for individual communities inside this category. I want my users to see only those forums inside this category, of which they are members. I mean if my user is a member of community a and community b on my site i want him to be able to view and access only the forums of community a and community b in the "Community Forums" category.

Specifically, is is possible for my user to have administrator rights in one forum and not in another? I want the owner of the community on my site to be the administrator of the forum of the community as well.

Is it possible for a user to be a member of only a few forums? or will he become member of all forums when he joins YAF?

Please help me out understanding this.

Thanks,
Gill
Sponsor
Jaben
You have full access to the entire source code for the forum. Good luck figuring out if these things are possible.
gsgill187
Hi Jaben,

thanks for your reply...

I have been trying to figure it out all day today..... here's what i have come out with....

i'll create 2 separate groups for each community related forum, ie for the forum i want to associate with community a, i'll create two new groups, i.e. communitya_admin(with adminaccess acessmark) and communitya_member(with memberaccess acessmark) and add them along with forum id of "community a forum" in the forum_forumaccess table. This way only the user i add to communitya_admin will be able to admin that forum, and only the users i add to communitya_member will be able to access it as members. All other groups will have noaccess acessmark for that particular forum.

let me know if you understood the gibberish above and tell me what you think.

Thanks,
Gill
Jaben
You have the right idea. The only other method would be to create a direct link between users and categories/forums without groups. That would be a bit of work and you'd have to modify how permissions are calculated -- not worth it probably.

Curious how this turns out...
Mek
I've started along this route but not finished, only using boards where users can access all boards but have different roles per board. To this end in 1.93 i've included the ability to change the ApplicationName for Members and for roles dynamically depending on the board.
So in this instance the Membership ApplicationName would be the same, but the Roles ApplicationName would be different. The applicaiton names per board are set in the YAF_Board table. If an entry is blank it uses the Application name set in the providers entries for Membership and Roles in the web.config.
I'd envisage some work with the custom providers is needed to achieve this functionality but its as far as I got. Don't know if this any good for you, but please post back how you worked your solution.

UserPostedImage 

"It's a case of RTFM.. the only problem being we don't have a manual!"

When I post FP:Mek in a topic, I'm leaving my footprint there so I can track it once I get into coding/supporting. (Yes I stole this off Ederon 🙂 )
gsgill187
Hi,

Here's what i did to solve my problem. I added a new coloumn for UserId in the Forums_ForumAccess table, removed the primary key constraint which was set to the combination of (GroupId, ForumId). Also, I made GroupId and UserId in ForumAccess table as "AllowNull"

Then, i modified the forums_vaccessfull view and added a join ( dbo.WZ_Forums_UserGroup AS b INNER JOIN dbo.WZ_Forums_ForumAccess AS c ON c.UserID = b.UserID INNER JOIN ) between UserGroup and ForumAccess on UserId. I also added a stored procedure to add a userid,forum id and accessmask in the ForumAccess table.

When i create a new forum, i make it "hidden" and give default accessmask as "no access" to everyone. Then i give "admin" accessmask to the administrators group. then , i add the community owner's userid to the ForumAccess table with "admin" accessmask for that particular forum.

When a new user joins my community, he is also added as a forum user and his userid is added to the ForumAccess table with "member" accessmask for that particular forum.

This makes it possible for the administrator to view and moderate all the groups.
Community owners to see and moderate thier forums only
Community members to see only the forums that they are members of.
exactly what i wanted!!

Thanks and Regards,
Gill