Dumb though it may seem, a hosting company I just moved to (IXwebhosting) uses POP-before-SMTP instead of Authenticated SMTP, which they simply don't support. You can see where I'm going with this. Odd though it may seem to use this sort of defence when the source web server and the SMTP server have the same domain name, but there it is.

You get a standard SMTP ish error message, of which the 5.7.1 bit is the "I'm not going to relay for you even though you're me" message (see below).

So the request is for a little mod... you could use the same UI to enter POP details as you do today for authenticated SMTP, but add a little check box which says "don't use authenticated SMTP, POP, then wait a second, then SMTP". That would do the job for IXwebhosting.

In the mean time, I turned off all the email features so I don't hit this error, which fills up the error log rather rapidly. I coded around it on everything else, but I don't have the tools to take the lid off YAF, hence this post.

Still, it's good that the software copes rather nicely with this - thanks.

Error sending emails to users
System.Net.Mail.SmtpFailedRecipientException: Mailbox name not allowed. The server response was: sorry, that domain isn't allowed to be relayed thru this MTA (#5.7.1) at System.Net.Mail.SmtpTransport.SendMail(MailAddress sender, MailAddressCollection recipients, String deliveryNotify, SmtpFailedRecipientException& exception) at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message) at yaf.pages.ForumPage.SendMailThread()
Topic Starter
  • philw
    80%
Ok, I found (thanks to Jaben ) a way to empty the outgoing mail queue and so hopefully stop the errors continuing to fill the log: delete the contents of the database table yaf_Mail. I needed to get SQL management express working on there anyway.

Another thought on this... perhaps I will just do some experiments to find out the POP-to-block delay on this hoster's service. Then I write a little cron job which just pops the sucker every POP-to-block minus one seconds, and then my server will miraculously never be blocked. Perhaps I should not make so much noise about it or they may take action against me.

The error log's in an obviously-named DB table which you can just clear out from SQL without causing any apparent damage.

-- update
I just avoided the whole issue by making the website POP the hoster's email server every so often, details at the bottom of this page on pop-before-smtp  if anyone's in the same boat. This has the advantage of solving the web hosting company's problem in one place for every application you may run there. Dumb, but it works.
Topic Starter
  • philw
    80%