Synergy
  •  Synergy
  • 53.6% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling Topic Starter
2008-04-01T17:57:28Z
Hi,

I am using DNN 4.06.01 with YAF 1.91.05

The DNN forum had a setting that allowed the forum users name to be whatever they typed in as their Display Name when they registered.

YAF displays whatever they typed in as their Username.

Is there a way to change this within YAF so that it will use their Display Name instead of their Username?

Thank You
Sponsor
Jaben
  •  Jaben
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2008-04-01T18:23:22Z
Yes, it's possible. Any good at C#?
Synergy
  •  Synergy
  • 53.6% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling Topic Starter
2008-04-01T18:56:18Z
No, unfortunately I have very minimal coding experience.
Jaben
  •  Jaben
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2008-04-01T19:36:06Z
Well, I decided to compile a modified yaf_dnn bridge for you that uses the DisplayName instead of the Username.

You will need to upgrade your YAF install to v1.9.1.8 (just uploaded) and just replace the yaf_dnn.dll in your \bin directory with this attached one.

No guarantee it will work as you want... you are the Guinea pig. :)

EDIT: Deleted.
Boskone
2008-04-02T13:03:41Z
Beware, display names are not unique. More than one person can have the same display name.
Boskone - A DotNetNuke user.
RDSCC 
Jaben
  •  Jaben
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2008-04-02T14:27:07Z
Boskone wrote:

Beware, display names are not unique. More than one person can have the same display name.


k... Then this is a bad idea. 🙂
Boskone
2008-04-02T14:52:17Z
The correct user will be used, but that user could change his or her display name to the same one as someone else.
Boskone - A DotNetNuke user.
RDSCC 
Synergy
  •  Synergy
  • 53.6% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling Topic Starter
2008-04-02T16:06:43Z
I'm wondering how does DotNetNuke do it?

Is it verified against the userid?


BTW, thanks for the responses and the help.
bryanthi
2008-05-22T22:03:38Z
Jaben wrote:

Well, I decided to compile a modified yaf_dnn bridge for you that uses the DisplayName instead of the Username.

You will need to upgrade your YAF install to v1.9.1.8 (just uploaded) and just replace the yaf_dnn.dll in your \bin directory with this attached one.

No guarantee it will work as you want... you are the Guinea pig. :)

EDIT: Deleted.


I just have the same problem.
Can you give me a modified yaf_dnn bridge to me,Thanks a lot.
bryanthi@126.com
Synergy
  •  Synergy
  • 53.6% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling Topic Starter
2008-05-23T04:11:52Z
I never was able to get it to work so I just made DNN only use the userid field and took the display name field away.

Hope this helps.
jayaraj@ispg.in
2008-06-02T21:56:38Z
Synergy wrote:

Hi,

I am using DNN 4.06.01 with YAF 1.91.05

The DNN forum had a setting that allowed the forum users name to be whatever they typed in as their Display Name when they registered.

YAF displays whatever they typed in as their Username.

Is there a way to change this within YAF so that it will use their Display Name instead of their Username?


Synergy
  •  Synergy
  • 53.6% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling Topic Starter
2008-06-03T06:30:23Z
I don't think there is, but you can go into DNN and make it so that people can't use Display Names so that it will use there User Names only.

Click on Users then Users Settings.

Under User Account Settings there is an option for Display Name Format.

Put this in there: [USERNAME]

Then it will not allow your users to register with a Display Name. they can only put in a User Name and that will be used for both DNN login and YAF Forum authentication and display.

Hope this helps


H2
  •  H2
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling
2009-04-11T02:36:04Z
Aloha Jaben,

I was looking for the forum system which can accept anonymous post in DotNetNuke. Then I finally found YAF. This is much more sophisticated than DNN Forum module. But I want to use DisplayName instead of UserName. It is not problem for us that DisplayName is not unique, because we even accept Guest anonymous posting. So if you still have the modified yaf_dnn.dll, please PM or Email me.

Mahalo!

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.

Powered by Resharper Donate with PayPal button

Project Twitter Updates

Copyright © YetAnotherForum.NET & Ingo Herbote. All rights reserved