I have two different sites with different domains/layout, but content is somewhat similar. I would like to use the same database (users/posts) for forums on both sites.
What is the best way to do this?
Topic Starter
  • runboy
    77%
Originally Posted by: runboy

I have two different sites with different domains/layout, but content is somewhat similar. I would like to use the same database (users/posts) for forums on both sites.
What is the best way to do this?

By using a remote database server. Please, make Google you friend.

• bbobb
    100%
  • Medals:
    Medal of Honor Key: Given to pillars of the community who are key players in the YAF community and project.Medal of Honor for a YAF Database Key Player: Holds the key to YAF database. Bow down!Medal of Honor for the Support King: Given for answering tons of support questions and generally helping the community.Medal of Honor for the Support Knight: Given to a community member who has answered lots of support questions.
  •  Man  Russian Federation
  • Was thanked: 287 time(s) in 253 post(s)
I am wanting to know how to best setup YAF for this purpose. The 2 sites are on the same server. The database is already located on a different server.

How would you best setup the files? Of course you could have two different sets of files, but then there would be issues with uploaded files/avatars etc. unless you use the same directory for those. Would there be any problems with working under different applications in this scenario?
Another option would be to use the same file set and just differentiate the theme depending on domain.

In the previous forum software I used, you could configure this so it worked great. Just wondered if anybody had done it with YAF
Topic Starter
  • runboy
    77%
You can use the same database for both forum sites. I've done this already. You just use the same connection string.

As for files such as avatars, etc, those will be stored in the file structure of whichever domain they were uploaded from.

If User3 uploads GIF1 to DomainA, it won't be shown on DomainB because it's not in the same directory on the server. If you store image files ON the database, then you can have two forums with the same content, same users, but you can use two completely different theme designs.

• Zero2Cool
    100%
  • Medals:
    Medal of Honor for the Support Knight: Given to a community member who has assisted lots and lots of people!
  •  Man  United States
  • Was thanked: 101 time(s) in 92 post(s)
On second thought I guess you can just set up the upload directory as a virtual directory and upload to the same directory
Topic Starter
  • runboy
    77%