Zero2Cool
I've been trying to emulate this with YAF, but fail. Do I need to change the source code or are my CSS skills just lacking?
Zero2Cool attached the following image(s):
Sponsor
johnk
This may require source code modification. YAF uses tables to arrange columns and rows. If they had used div tags, it would be easier to change to that theme.

This might explain why I haven't seen any third party themes for YAF. 🙂
Zero2Cool
Originally Posted by: johnk

This may require source code modification. YAF uses tables to arrange columns and rows. If they had used div tags, it would be easier to change to that theme.

This might explain why I haven't seen any third party themes for YAF. :)

I noticed the lack of third party themes too.

That really sucks because I think it looks cleaner. I've been tinkering with the dang layout for long time and each time I come back to the topicrow portion, I always leave unsatisfied.
squirrel
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool

I've been trying to emulate this with YAF, but fail. Do I need to change the source code or are my CSS skills just lacking?

It can be done without source mod (I'm almost sure of it). I'm wrapping up your mobile theme stuff, and I'll take a crack at it. Table CSS is tricky but possible (even in IE)
If you can't find it using the forum search, try my signature link -- searches this site using Google: Google is my Friend 
squirrel

Originally Posted by: johnk

This might explain why I haven't seen any third party themes for YAF. :)

I noticed the lack of third party themes too.

That really sucks because I think it looks cleaner. I've been tinkering with the dang layout for long time and each time I come back to the topicrow portion, I always leave unsatisfied.

The hard part is YAF evolves so much, that even when a theme is incorporated, unless someone can maintain it for future releases it has to be dropped -- I'm trying to help in that area but I've been so backlogged and I really feel a Wiki/FAQ section for the forums is more of a priority currently -- but once I get that ball rolling, I'm going to try to do up a couple simple themes for the collection --

If you can't find it using the forum search, try my signature link -- searches this site using Google: Google is my Friend 
johnk
I agree it would be really great to have a theme like the one Kevin posted above.

But I doubt you can override table td tags and merge content of two td tags into one td tag just by using CSS 🙂
bbobb
Table Layouts vs. Div Layouts: From Hell to… Hell?

http://coding.smashingma...-table-hell-to-div-hell/ 
tha_watcha

If you only want to archieve the spacing between the rows, this can be easily done with css if you add border spacing tho the table

.yafnet .content {border-spacing: 0 10px}

this adds 10px on the top and the bottom.

Moving the views an replies in on column is more tricky, it can be done with css. You could override the topics.ascx file from your theme (like its done in the mobile theme), or you manipulate it with jquery.

if i have some time i can show you how it can be done.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
I made that modification, but it didn't work.

I'm only looking to have the separation and rounded corners for the rows.
Jaben
Originally Posted by: bbobb

I've done both... and yes, this has been my primary reason for not throwing out the existing layout system.

Honestly, my desire for YAF.NET a this point would be just move to Bootstrap 3... lots of support for themes and tons of cool controls.

But that would require a bootload of work as well.
squirrel
Originally Posted by: Jaben

I've done both... and yes, this has been my primary reason for not throwing out the existing layout system.

Honestly, my desire for YAF.NET a this point would be just move to Bootstrap 3... lots of support for themes and tons of cool controls.

Honestly, it's very theme-able - especially since the introduction of the mobile theme and page overrides -- being able to customize the controls that are displayed would really handle just about any themer's desires if you ask me...

IMO tables are not that bad. You just have to play with the CSS to make them render in all browsers -- While there could be some more definitive classes added throughout the code, I still don't see it needing that much overhaul.
tha_watcha

I made that modification, but it didn't work.

I'm only looking to have the separation and rounded corners for the rows.

i attached your updated theme which you attached here http://forum.yetanotherf...yafHeader.aspx#post60557 

i added some spacing between the rows and replies and views are now in one column

File Attachment(s):
PH_Dark_v2_TEST.zip (366kb) downloaded 95 time(s).

UserPostedImage
tha_watcha
Originally Posted by: Jaben

Couldnt agree more, this bigest problem ist not the work, but trying to keep it legacy compatible for all existing forums.

I am working on a bootstrap theme for a very long time, with bootstrap 3 yaf looks really nice and clean. 😎

tha_watcha attached the following image(s):

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
I have it up on the beta site now and it is the concept.
http://packerpeople.com/...k-Green-Bay-Packers.aspx 
The space is a bit thick, but that's easily customizable with CSS.

would modifying the forum sections be similar to how it was done for the topics within the forum section/category?
tha_watcha
Yes it is similar, but of course there are multiple ways. You could also override everything and replace all tables with divs, or only when needed. But because you need to always check the modified pages with a new version I think it's easier to stick to tables as long as yaf does it.
UserPostedImage