Zero2Cool
On my YAF site that's contained in an ASP.net environment, I'd like to have a page dedicated to the ShoutBox only for members to use as a chat.

This code is returning the error below.

Edit, ideal situation would be to have "forum/popup.aspx?g=shoutbox" displayed within my Site.Master and throw a video player below/above it. I'm using a Java Applet for chat now, but it's flaky as heck for some users and the ShoutBox works so much better.

Sponsor
tha_watcha
I tried it too, but the problem is that there a many things that didn't work outside of yaf. I don't think it will work with the current code.

Quote:

Edit, ideal situation would be to have "forum/popup.aspx?g=shoutbox" displayed within my Site.Master and throw a video player below/above it.

Why not use an iframe!?!

<iframe src="forum/popup.aspx?g=shoutbox" width="800" height="500" frameborder="0"></iframe>

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
Using "inspect element" on Chrome I can edit the attribute shown below and it looks great as the "red" wasted space areas are non-exsistent.

<div class="post" id="shoutBoxChatArea" style="height: 99%;">

However, when I use 99% in the forum.css the same "red" wasted space areas are still visible.

.PopupBody {
    margin: 0;
    padding: 0;
}

.PopupBody .ShoutBoxPanel .content {
		position:absolute;
		top: 5px;
		bottom:0px;
		right:0px;
		left:5px;
		height:50%; /*     default 98% */
		width:99%;
		min-height:120px;
    }

#shoutBoxChatArea {
    overflow-y: auto;
    height: 110px;
    min-width: 500px;
    width: 99%;
    padding: 0;
    margin: 0;
}

Edit .... within forum.css

and that has eliminated the weird top/bottom red wasted space portions.
Zero2Cool
I've been trying to figure out how to keep the page where it's at after submitting a Shout into the ShoutBox. Any ideas?
Zero2Cool
Anyway to avoid having the page jump when a Shout is submitted?
squirrel
Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool

I know you're working with a YAF solution - but thought this might interest you with your particular needs --

http://www.estreamchat.com/features.aspx 
(asp.net/open-source/html5+jquery) -- sounds pretty slick - haven't played with it yet though --
If you can't find it using the forum search, try my signature link -- searches this site using Google: Google is my Friend 
Zero2Cool
Originally Posted by: squirrel

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool

I know you're working with a YAF solution - but thought this might interest you with your particular needs --

http://www.estreamchat.com/features.aspx 
(asp.net/open-source/html5+jquery) -- sounds pretty slick - haven't played with it yet though --

IF I could plug that into an ASPX page with my video player, as well as throw in the YAF UserName, I'd be down. Looks pretyt nice.
squirrel
It's in c# - I'm willing to bet it's modular. It provides a method for authentication passthru from the main site without having to write a custom provider or hook it to YAF's providers. You can authorize it in the manner you were thinking of. I'll download it and see what it looks like under the hood, but I am willing to bet you'd be quicker at that :)

If you can't find it using the forum search, try my signature link -- searches this site using Google: Google is my Friend 
Zero2Cool
I downloaded it have it running locally right now. It is pretty nice. Hopefully ti doesn't do that damn jump around though when I make it smaller lol
squirrel
Being jQuery, I'm betting there's no postback issues with it -- looks like it operates through jQuery and a WebService -- so you might be in luck.

In the chatroom.aspx page there's some markup referencing a video box already - might be for webcam support though -- but don't see a reason why you can't insert your own markup with it and modify CSS as needed :)

Zero2Cool
I think YAF should switch to jQuery 🙂

Yes, the video is webcam, not video player from like justin.tv or something.
Zero2Cool
Actually, that won't work. It is nice, but its quite a lot of overhead. I just need a simple chat/shout that doesn't postback and reposition the page. I've been looking into just creating one myself. I can do all of it no issues, except implementing the jQuery stuff or heck even using jQuery for that matter.
squirrel
Let me see if there's something else I can dig up for ya bro --

On the other one is it just too much completely or just certain parts? Ripping apart someone else's code might not be as hard as putting it together from scratch ;)

Zero2Cool
Conceptually, I have the design done. I just need the auto refresh.

Display X messages
textbox for messagges. submit button to submit.

I just need something to fire off that display X messages without making the page do a postback.

I'd like to throw it in a web user control.

eStream would be great if ONLY needing a chat page. I like it for that. But I want something that I can morph into a Chat AND/OR ShoutBox and that is not as bulky in design.

My goal is to stop using YAF ShoutBox because i don't like how much real estate it uses.

PackersHome.com see the little sideboxes? I'd like to throw a ShoutBox over there. Then on the Chat page, have a larger Chat that emulates the same process, but bigger. This would be configured similarly as Board 1 or 2 for whichever and then size controlled by CSS.

That rambling make sense?
Zero2Cool
Essentially, something like this. http://www.xigla.com/shoutboxnet/ . Appearance is the only thing this link provides. I imagine I'd be able to do what I'd like with in terms of size and design (e.g. font, bgcolor, etc).