Dimi
  •  Dimi
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF All-the-Time Topic Starter
2011-01-19T03:38:20Z
Look what I found! There is a very interesting presentation of new posts in real-time.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ 

I suppose they use AJAX to show it and it's done in a very impressive way!
Dimi
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Underground
2011-01-19T09:34:49Z
Quote:

Threads: 1,023,939, Posts: 16,818,131, Members: 1,044,291, Blog Entries: 13,612, Blog Comments: 31,202, Visitor Messages: 81,737, Social Groups: 915, Member Photos: 63,935


I guess it makes sense if your forum gets that many posts :)
But I have to say that it looks very cool! An update every minute?

I have no idea if I would use it, but if the developers of YAF think about inplementing this, a host setting to en-disable it would be nice (like shoutbox).
My site containing the YAF forum: Globalcaching.eu 
Dimi
  •  Dimi
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF All-the-Time Topic Starter
2011-01-19T09:49:00Z
Originally Posted by: Underground 

Quote:

Threads: 1,023,939, Posts: 16,818,131, Members: 1,044,291, Blog Entries: 13,612, Blog Comments: 31,202, Visitor Messages: 81,737, Social Groups: 915, Member Photos: 63,935


I guess it makes sense if your forum gets that many posts :)
But I have to say that it looks very cool! An update every minute?

I have no idea if I would use it, but if the developers of YAF think about inplementing this, a host setting to en-disable it would be nice (like shoutbox).



I don't think it's every minute. If you click the link that I provided you will see every second on a good day.
Dimi
UserPostedImage
Underground
2011-01-19T12:45:41Z
Originally Posted by: Dimi 

I don't think it's every minute. If you click the link that I provided you will see every second on a good day.


You mean that you see every second a new post in the live update?
That would mean a huge load on the server (if AJAX is used)

My site containing the YAF forum: Globalcaching.eu 
Dimi
  •  Dimi
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF All-the-Time Topic Starter
2011-01-19T15:10:50Z
Try it now and you will see

Dimi
UserPostedImage
JP
  •  JP
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Leader
2011-01-19T19:07:48Z
Updated when a new post is made, maybe? Would be the most logical solution to me... 😁
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Dimi
  •  Dimi
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF All-the-Time Topic Starter
2011-01-19T19:11:52Z
Originally Posted by: JP 

Updated when a new post is made, maybe? Would be the most logical solution to me... 😁



Logically it's true, but actually the CLIENT should initiate update, not server, only if the app doesn't use Silverlight or something like that. But I suppose the system that I mentioned is written in PHP and it's Linux based. Maybe I'm wrong. but I made a quick research after I posted the first info. But the idea is doable in .NET as well.
Dimi
UserPostedImage
JP
  •  JP
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Leader
2011-01-19T19:19:58Z
A fun-to-have feature in my eyes, a bit of a "show off" feature about how "kool" your forum software is...

Not a must-have as I see it... May impress visitors though...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Dimi
  •  Dimi
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF All-the-Time Topic Starter
2011-01-19T19:43:33Z
Absolutely agree with you! 🙂 I was very impressed, that was my first reaction.
Dimi
UserPostedImage
Dr-Hack
2011-01-20T17:17:52Z
Wow ... pretty nice and so is the forum activity :)

its vbulletin and some what like the Active topic mod [http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=201228]

what it would be using ? ... what ever it is .. that feature is server heavy , i little search and we can see how often that goes down there admin says it has auto oFF feature to save server load ..

but eye-catching .

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.

Powered by Resharper Donate with PayPal button

Project Twitter Updates

Copyright © YetAnotherForum.NET & Ingo Herbote. All rights reserved