Hi there,

I'm building an ASP.NET MVC site and I'm trying to integrate N2 's own forum add-on , which is basically YAF. I've been wrestling with the forum for the last couple of days and after re-compiling the add-on to remove the dependency on N2.Templates.dll and following all of the steps in the Installation.txt file I'm stuck with the forum not showing up. I get a 403 error when I navigate to the forum:

HTTP Error 403.14 - Forbidden

From what I could find out it seems the problem is in the fact that the forum is based on WebForms and the containing application is MVC-based. The site is part of a Windows Azure  solution and some of the things I read suggest the local IIS may not be correctly configured. However, right-clicking on the Forum.aspx page and selecting "View in browser" shows the page just fine, including navigating to subsequent pages from the YAF installation wizard. Running pure WebForms apps on the local IIS also goes without problems, so I think IIS is not the cause for YAF not showing up.

Please, if someone has any idea for solving this problem, or has done similar integration of YAF in an MVC site, let me know.

Thanks!
Topic Starter
  • thpetkov
    52.4%
bbobb wrote:

The guys use YAF in a commercial application and distribute it for money๐Ÿ˜ 

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm confused by your answer. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Which are the guys you refer to? To the best of my knowledge N2, YAF and the forum add-on for N2 are all open source. Which application is distributed for money?

Please, if anyone has idea what might be causing the problem described in my first post, please let me know. Your help will be much appreciated.
Topic Starter
  • thpetkov
    52.4%
Yeah, but I didn't found a licence there. Please show me the place. This is an old version too.
They moved yaf c# code to an assembly. What kind of help would you get here?
Ask the add-on developer. The MVC integration was disscussed here, but it was before the YAF was moved to WAP.
  • bbobb
    100%
  • Medals:
    Medal of Honor Key: Given to pillars of the community who are key players in the YAF community and project.Medal of Honor for a YAF Database Key Player: Holds the key to YAF database. Bow down!Medal of Honor for the Support King: Given for answering tons of support questions and generally helping the community.Medal of Honor for the Support Knight: Given to a community member who has answered lots of support questions.
  •  Man  Russian Federation
  • Was thanked: 287 time(s) in 253 post(s)
I am obviously new to YAF and this is my first thread on your forums. From what I've seen so far, I must admit you are anything but friendly with newcomers.

bbobb, if I knew how to solve my problem I wouldn't bother asking for help in your forums, would I? So far I liked YAF and wanted to use it and contribute, but your response is rather hostile. Good luck keeping a community with that attitude. Don't forget YAF is one of the many forums out there and as with any open source project it depends on its community.

I am really sorry for losing your time and bothering you with my question.
Topic Starter
  • thpetkov
    52.4%
thpetkov wrote:

I am obviously new to YAF and this is my first thread on your forums. From what I've seen so far, I must admit you are anything but friendly with newcomers.

You're wrong ๐Ÿ™‚ But we help with YAF, not with a unknown modified version.
You always get help when developers have time.
I didn't mean to be hostile. It's a sort of language barrier ๐Ÿ˜‰

They didn't publish source code and violated GPLv2 licence.
  • bbobb
    100%
  • Medals:
    Medal of Honor Key: Given to pillars of the community who are key players in the YAF community and project.Medal of Honor for a YAF Database Key Player: Holds the key to YAF database. Bow down!Medal of Honor for the Support King: Given for answering tons of support questions and generally helping the community.Medal of Honor for the Support Knight: Given to a community member who has answered lots of support questions.
  •  Man  Russian Federation
  • Was thanked: 287 time(s) in 253 post(s)
thpetkov wrote:

Hi there,

I'm building an ASP.NET MVC site and I'm trying to integrate N2 's own forum add-on , which is basically YAF. I've been wrestling with the forum for the last couple of days and after re-compiling the add-on to remove the dependency on N2.Templates.dll and following all of the steps in the Installation.txt file I'm stuck with the forum not showing up. I get a 403 error when I navigate to the forum:

HTTP Error 403.14 - Forbidden

From what I could find out it seems the problem is in the fact that the forum is based on WebForms and the containing application is MVC-based. The site is part of a Windows Azure  solution and some of the things I read suggest the local IIS may not be correctly configured. However, right-clicking on the Forum.aspx page and selecting "View in browser" shows the page just fine, including navigating to subsequent pages from the YAF installation wizard. Running pure WebForms apps on the local IIS also goes without problems, so I think IIS is not the cause for YAF not showing up.

Please, if someone has any idea for solving this problem, or has done similar integration of YAF in an MVC site, let me know.

Thanks!

bbobb could stand to mellow out a bit.

But I have to agree with him -- we've never seen this implementation of YAF (it doesn't even mention it's based on YAF from what I can see) -- it's VERY old ( from 2008 ) -- not sure it's completely by the books and the source code isn't available. At this point, it's rather impossible for us to assist specifically with that.

I suggest contacting the add-on maker. We really don't have the energy to assist with integrating with any portals -- YAF is our focus of support.
  • Jaben
    100%
  • Medals:
    Medal of Honor Key: Given to pillars of the community who are key players in the YAF community and project.YAF.NET Supporter: Loves YAF.NET!YAF.NET Supporter: Supports our efforts. Thank you.Medal of Honor for the Support King: Given to a community member who tirelessly answers tons of support questions.
  • Was thanked: 352 time(s) in 195 post(s)
Hi Jaben,

Thank you for the info and much more constructive answer. I will try to do the YAF-N2 integration thing from scratch, using the latest versions of both. I'm on a tight schedule, so if it takes too much time I'll have to leave it for later. However, if I manage to come up with a working solution, I'll keep you posted so that you can share it with anyone interested.

Before I get started I have two questions:

1) What needs to be done on the legal side of things for building a YAF-based add-on for an open source CMS like N2? Anything besides releasing the full source code of the add-on under YAF's license?

2) Are you aware of any problems when YAF is part of a general ASP.NET MVC application?

Thank you for your time!
Topic Starter
  • thpetkov
    52.4%