midwestSS
maybe im just up too early, but is there documentation on what has changed between RC3 and RC4?
BWG
Is RC4 supposed to offer better performance for long threads (i.e. those with many pages)? I found with RC1 that threads with 15 pages or more were slowing down enormously and becoming unusable. I think I've seen similar problems on the Dr Who forum which is powered by YAF. To get round the performance issue I stripped out all (or at least what I could see) of the code for the 'Thanks' functionality. That made a HUGE difference, and now I'm running threads with 60+ pages and getting sub 1 sec rendering times on the current page. 🙂
BWG
Quick question please...

Have there been any changes to the database between 1.94 RC1 and 1.94 RC4?

Thanks

Brian
Jaben
Skiltz wrote:

UserPostedImage

For now, I recommend turning the "thanks" feature off.

See if that helps.
Jaben
BWG wrote:

Is RC4 supposed to offer better performance for long threads (i.e. those with many pages)? I found with RC1 that threads with 15 pages or more were slowing down enormously and becoming unusable. I think I've seen similar problems on the Dr Who forum which is powered by YAF. To get round the performance issue I stripped out all (or at least what I could see) of the code for the 'Thanks' functionality. That made a HUGE difference, and now I'm running threads with 60+ pages and getting sub 1 sec rendering times on the current page. 🙂

That's the way it should be -- I'll take a look into the thanks feature and see how to speed it up. It's still doing way too much "extra work" on long threads.
Jaben
Hey guys... if you're having speed problems with thanks, please run this SQL code in your SQL admin in YAF -- these indexes will be in the next version of YAF:

/****** Object:  Index [IX_yaf_Thanks_MessageID]    Script Date: 06/25/2010 13:19:51 ******/
IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.indexes WHERE object_id = OBJECT_ID(N'[dbo].[yaf_Thanks]') AND name = N'IX_yaf_Thanks_MessageID')
CREATE NONCLUSTERED INDEX [IX_yaf_Thanks_MessageID] ON [dbo].[yaf_Thanks] 
(
	[MessageID] ASC
)WITH (PAD_INDEX  = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE  = OFF, SORT_IN_TEMPDB = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, DROP_EXISTING = OFF, ONLINE = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS  = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS  = ON) ON [PRIMARY]
GO

/****** Object:  Index [IX_yaf_Thanks_ThanksFromUserID]    Script Date: 06/25/2010 13:19:51 ******/
IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.indexes WHERE object_id = OBJECT_ID(N'[dbo].[yaf_Thanks]') AND name = N'IX_yaf_Thanks_ThanksFromUserID')
CREATE NONCLUSTERED INDEX [IX_yaf_Thanks_ThanksFromUserID] ON [dbo].[yaf_Thanks] 
(
	[ThanksFromUserID] ASC
)WITH (PAD_INDEX  = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE  = OFF, SORT_IN_TEMPDB = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, DROP_EXISTING = OFF, ONLINE = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS  = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS  = ON) ON [PRIMARY]
GO

/****** Object:  Index [IX_yaf_Thanks_ThanksToUserID]    Script Date: 06/25/2010 13:19:51 ******/
IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.indexes WHERE object_id = OBJECT_ID(N'[dbo].[yaf_Thanks]') AND name = N'IX_yaf_Thanks_ThanksToUserID')
CREATE NONCLUSTERED INDEX [IX_yaf_Thanks_ThanksToUserID] ON [dbo].[yaf_Thanks] 
(
	[ThanksToUserID] ASC
GO

Jaben
BWG wrote:

Quick question please...

Have there been any changes to the database between 1.94 RC1 and 1.94 RC4?

Thanks

Brian

Yes.
Skiltz
Jaben wrote:

See if that helps.

This made a huge difference. Large topics (>500 pages) now take between 2 and 8 seconds to generate.

Jaben
Skiltz wrote:

Jaben wrote:

See if that helps.

This made a huge difference. Large topics (>500 pages) now take between 2 and 8 seconds to generate.

The commit I made already fixed this issue -- it only loads thanks for the current page (20 or so records).
Kamyar
Thank you Jaben. Some issues are hard to determine before running the project in production environment. Apologies to YAF users for the performance issue with thanks feature.
If at first you don’t succeed, call it version 1.0
Jaben
Kamyar wrote:

Thank you Jaben. Some issues are hard to determine before running the project in production environment. Apologies to YAF users for the performance issue with thanks feature.

No problem Kamyar -- the feature started very simple and quickly grew because everyone loved it -- easy to lose sight of performance. Also, it's a bit of fault of the data access layer.
dainguyen24_03
SaiDon wrote:

:-d I am waiting RC3, thanks

dasds