RichP714
  •  RichP714
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF All-the-Time Topic Starter
2010-05-12T00:16:02Z
I was looking into some of the ascx pages, doing some modifications, and I came across a couple of 'non well formed' lines in /controls/ForumCategoryList.ascx

line 29
</HeaderTemplate>

error: the <table> tag was not close before this </HeaderTemplate> tag


line 56
</table>
error: marked invalid because it is a mismatched end tag

I shuffled things around and got a well formed page:

line 8 (table opening) cut and replace on line 6 (right after <ContentTemplate>)

line 56 (table ending) cut and replace on line 55 (right after </asp:Repeater>)

this encloses the HeaderTemplate and asp:Repeater within the table tags.

Besides now being a 'well formed' document, I found a considerable increase in forum response.


Enjoy!

Running YAF 1.9.5.5 final at: http://thecarversite.com 
Sponsor
componentsoft
2010-05-22T14:08:42Z
Like this. We also see the improvement after applying this patch
herman_herman
2010-05-23T00:50:32Z
There are also some other malformed tags as far as I remember.I even fixed them in SVN sometime ago!
bbobb
  •  bbobb
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2010-05-23T03:43:17Z
herman_herman wrote:

There are also some other malformed tags as far as I remember.I even fixed them in SVN sometime ago!


You'll be shocked but the thing originates in MSDN. It has a lot of examples which contain the error. I think it was originally related to DataGrid etc. style things and was copied everywhere by 'botcoders'.
herman_herman
2010-05-23T10:43:33Z
bbobb wrote:

herman_herman wrote:

There are also some other malformed tags as far as I remember.I even fixed them in SVN sometime ago!


You'll be shocked but the thing originates in MSDN. It has a lot of examples which contain the error. I think it was originally related to DataGrid etc. style things and was copied everywhere by 'botcoders'.


Interesting..:shock:
BWG
  •  BWG
  • 99.4% (Exalted)
  • YAF Lover
2010-05-23T17:22:14Z
Why is it malformed? The open table tag is in the HeaderTemplate and the close table tag is in the Footer template. Looks correct to me. :?

Even if there was a malformed table tag it would be unlikely to have a big impact on performance IMO.
RichP714
  •  RichP714
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF All-the-Time Topic Starter
2010-05-23T21:46:04Z
it would render correctly, yes, but wouldn't pass html validation, so I'm guessing the browser engine stutters on it a bit.

IIRC the 'error' is that the table tag should be closed before the headertemplate tag in order to be a well formed html doc.

The browser eventually sorts it out, but making it well formed there's less to think about for the engine.

If you move things around as in my above post, the table encloses the HeaderTemplate and asp:Repeater



fixing it seems to have made the page loads quicker
Enjoy!

Running YAF 1.9.5.5 final at: http://thecarversite.com 
Jaben
  •  Jaben
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2010-05-24T10:00:01Z
RichP714 wrote:

it would render correctly, yes, but wouldn't pass html validation, so I'm guessing the browser engine stutters on it a bit.

IIRC the 'error' is that the table tag should be closed before the headertemplate tag in order to be a well formed html doc.

The browser eventually sorts it out, but making it well formed there's less to think about for the engine.

If you move things around as in my above post, the table encloses the HeaderTemplate and asp:Repeater



fixing it seems to have made the page loads quicker


It doesn't pass HTML validation? Please show me where you see that... All *rendered* pages have been tested again HTML Tidy and validate.
bbobb
  •  bbobb
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2010-05-24T10:47:24Z
It validates. Anyway, I changed it in the svn source code just in case. The thing's harmless in the case.
It's within an UpdatePanel, maybe something is related to this, when server-side tags are rendered. But I can't see any differences.

RichP714
  •  RichP714
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF All-the-Time Topic Starter
2010-05-24T21:13:40Z
Jaben wrote:

RichP714 wrote:

it would render correctly, yes, but wouldn't pass html validation, so I'm guessing the browser engine stutters on it a bit.

IIRC the 'error' is that the table tag should be closed before the headertemplate tag in order to be a well formed html doc.

The browser eventually sorts it out, but making it well formed there's less to think about for the engine.

If you move things around as in my above post, the table encloses the HeaderTemplate and asp:Repeater



fixing it seems to have made the page loads quicker


It doesn't pass HTML validation? Please show me where you see that... All *rendered* pages have been tested again HTML Tidy and validate.




when open in Microsoft expression, those lines are red with a 'squiggly' underline; if you hover the mouse over them, they say the errors I typed (basically that some tag was 'spanning' another tag, and should be enclosed by it). After moving things around as above, the 'error' goes away.
Enjoy!

Running YAF 1.9.5.5 final at: http://thecarversite.com 
BWG
  •  BWG
  • 99.4% (Exalted)
  • YAF Lover
2010-05-30T21:41:59Z
Still think it was right originally in YAF, and that the table tags should not be moved outside of the Repeater control. :?

Here's an example from the SDK. Note that the begin and end table tags are inside the repeater control, in the Header and Footer templates.

http://quickstarts.asp.n...a/repeater/Repeater2.src 

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.

Powered by Resharper Donate with PayPal button

Project Twitter Updates

Copyright © YetAnotherForum.NET & Ingo Herbote. All rights reserved