2011-11-10T10:37:33Z
We need to make a topic title be "more noticable" than others by setting its bold status, or color, etc.
Can we do that in YAF? If yes, can we use something like HTML tags for that when creating a new topic?
Sponsor
tha_watcha
2011-11-10T19:00:18Z
Quote:

We need to make a topic title be "more noticable" than others by setting its bold status, or color, etc.
Can we do that in YAF

What Possible is you can set the Priority to Sticky or announcement, then the topic will be always shown as first topic in the topic list, and there will be a special icon.

But adding BBCodes or html tags is not possible.
UserPostedImage
2011-11-11T08:01:46Z
Sorry, need to clarify it more.
We need to highlight a topic when we enter the main board, the "root", The topic should be marked out somehow in the Last Post column.
Any ideas of how to do that?
JP
  •  JP
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Leader
2011-11-17T20:34:33Z
In my forum, I have seen users trying to emphasize the topic subject with bbcode, or the html equivalents, also smilies and such stuff, but the forum topic subject line does not allow this.

Should it? I'm not so sure... Some importance/post type indicator maybe like "reference topic", "joke topic", "moderator warning message" or such maybe - but I don't really see the use of it... My personal opinion is to categorize the board properly into sections...

I do see one use for such a feature in my forum though.... It's when moderators post a warning message or such in a topic that is going the wrong way... Would tell members that something "serious" is posted that you should read, but for "normal" traffic I see no real use of it... But that would be on a single message/post level and I imagine it would be quite an effort to achieve this kind of special functionality. More of a kind of "utopian perfect forum world wish for the future" than a really must have....

Call me old-fashioned, I can live with it.... 😁
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
2011-11-19T11:01:17Z
Originally Posted by: JP 

Some importance/post type indicator maybe like "reference topic", "joke topic", "moderator warning message" or such maybe - but I don't really see the use of it...

We saw the need of this, so that's why we asked. If you ever implement something for that, let us know please.
tha_watcha
2011-12-01T10:36:11Z
Quick Update, i added a new Option to Use Styled Topic Titles, just like Styled Nicks. Mods and Admin can define a css Style String to Customize a Topic Title.

Quote:

Should it? I'm not so sure... Some importance/post type indicator maybe like "reference topic", "joke topic", "moderator warning message" or such maybe - but I don't really see the use of it... My personal opinion is to categorize the board properly into sections...

Thats Already Possible in YAF 1.96 Beta, a Predefined Topic Status can be Selected from a Drop Down when Creating or Editing a Topic. The Status List can be modified in the Admin Area.
UserPostedImage
2012-02-02T15:19:43Z
Finally upgraded to YAF 1.9.6 RC1 to try this new cool feature.
And..
..have not found how to use it.
I created one topic status "Important" in Administration » Topic Status, but what to do further??
tha_watcha
2012-02-02T16:41:39Z
Originally Posted by: wisekat 

Finally upgraded to YAF 1.9.6 RC1 to try this new cool feature.
And..
..have not found how to use it.
I created one topic status "Important" in Administration » Topic Status, but what to do further??

To Get Started with the Topic Status Feature you should import the existing ones first to see how it works (Under Administration -> Topic Status -> Click Import > In the Install Folder you find a file called TopicStatusList.xml)

When you define a TS you define to Values the Name and the Default Description,

Localization
To localize the Description you need to add a new language string to the language files

<page name="TOPIC_STATUS">
  <Resource tag="INFORMATIC">Informative</Resource>
  <Resource tag="SOLVED">Solved</Resource>
  <Resource tag="QUESTION">Question</Resource>
  <Resource tag="ISSUE">Issue</Resource>
  <Resource tag="FIXED">Fixed</Resource>
  <Resource tag="IMPORTANT">Important</Resource>
</page>

if that tag is not find it will use the default Description

Topic Status Icon Image
When no Icon is found in the Current Theme the Topic Status will be displayed as Text. But when you define Icon in the themename.xml

<page name="TOPIC_STATUS">
     <Resource tag="INFORMATIC">~/status_informatic.png</Resource>
     <Resource tag="SOLVED">~/status_solved.png</Resource>
     <Resource tag="QUESTION">~/status_question.png</Resource>
     <Resource tag="ISSUE">~/status_issue.png</Resource> 
     <Resource tag="FIXED">~/status_fixed.png</Resource>
     <Resource tag="IMPORTANT">~/status_important.png</Resource>
  </page>

and you need to create the image that will be used.

(Dont forget to Restart YAF when you modify the theme xml file or language xml file).

To Finally use the TS when you create a new Topic or edit an existing topic you will see an dropdown that shows the list of all Topic Status to select (If you dont see it you need to enable "Allow Topic Status Option" in the Host Settings)
UserPostedImage
Dr-Hack
2012-02-02T17:03:05Z
Needs to be Sticky please ..

oh no we can favorite it 😉
tha_watcha
2012-02-07T00:13:22Z
Originally Posted by: Dr-Hack 

Originally Posted by: tha_watcha 

TopicStatusList.xml

i cant find this file in the install folder :s ...

If you use the dnn module you need to look in the folder DesktopModules/Yetanotherforumdotnet/install/
UserPostedImage
dprus
  •  dprus
  • 57.2% (Neutral)
  • YAF Camper
2014-06-21T22:06:00Z
If I just want the topic status prefixed as text to the title of the thread and I don't care about it being localized can I just add it in the admin area and that's it?

Right now my experience is that if I add a new Topic Status and then select that status when I create a topic the title of the topic is prefixed with an empty []. I have both the status name and status set in Administration -> Topic Status.
tha_watcha
2014-06-22T02:26:15Z
Originally Posted by: dprus 

If I just want the topic status prefixed as text to the title of the thread and I don't care about it being localized can I just add it in the admin area and that's it?

Right now my experience is that if I add a new Topic Status and then select that status when I create a topic the title of the topic is prefixed with an empty []. I have both the status name and status set in Administration -> Topic Status.

As I explained above you need to add it at least to the English.xml language file.
UserPostedImage
tha_watcha
2014-06-23T04:38:19Z
Did you restart the application after you made the changes to the language file?
UserPostedImage

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.