Jaben
  • Posts: 2544
  • Joined: 09/10/2004
YOu need to need some good hardware on that SQL database machine...
Jaben
  • Posts: 2544
  • Joined: 09/10/2004
jdadojr wrote:

I again made some modification and make it a litte faster now.

I can see that the yaf_topic_latest will return all the
topics that a user has rights to(all 13K of topics that is).

I modify the yaf_topic_latest to return nothing at all
and looks like there is no effect on the forum itself but much faster response.



yaf_topic_latest does not return all topics...

That's what this line is for:

SET ROWCOUNT @NumPosts
jdadojr
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 01/04/2008
your right, i will look more on this
Jaben
  • Posts: 2544
  • Joined: 09/10/2004
Can you answer the question about the db hardware? I will take further discussion about performance with a grain of salt if you aren't talking about serious hosting.

YAF is DB intensive. SQL Server is resource intensive. There are no free lunches.

Of course, improvements can be made... but I have to know you are being realistic with your expectations.

Are you using "shared" SQL Server hosting?
jdadojr
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 01/04/2008
We are using a dedicated Xeon Quad 1.86 Ghz with 1GRam, Serial ATA/Raid 5
these are the only hardware details that I know of.
IIS also resides on this machine

Jaben
  • Posts: 2544
  • Joined: 09/10/2004
GET MORE RAM. That is WAY, WAY too little ram for a server that is running both IIS and SQL Server.

Minimum 3GB -- the more the better.

Also... we're talking "real" SQL server here, right? Not SQL Server Express?
Jaben
  • Posts: 2544
  • Joined: 09/10/2004
Also... that could explain your speed problems... The ASP.NET caching mechinism doesn't work AT ALL with low RAM resources. It's considered "low priority" and with low system resources it will constantly push the cache out of memory creating a sitution where nothing is cached... so a trip to the DB every time.

If in fact, you are running 1GB of ram. (Please double-check.)
jdadojr
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 01/04/2008
yes its a real mssql
more memory, hmmm..
okey i will try to have it upgraded..
agibby5
  • Posts: 14
  • Joined: 05/03/2008
jdadojr wrote:

yes its a real mssql
more memory, hmmm..
okey i will try to have it upgraded..



RAM is really, really cheap right now too... no reason not to upgrade.
Jaben
  • Posts: 2544
  • Joined: 09/10/2004
agibby5 wrote:


RAM is really, really cheap right now too... no reason not to upgrade.



That's not true across the board. DDR3 is not cheap. DD2 is cheap... but it could be an older server which requires DDR.
agibby5
  • Posts: 14
  • Joined: 05/03/2008
Jaben wrote:

agibby5 wrote:


RAM is really, really cheap right now too... no reason not to upgrade.



That's not true across the board. DDR3 is not cheap. DD2 is cheap... but it could be an older server which requires DDR.


Not always true... but given the specs he mentioned, I figured it was DDR or DDR2, both are very affordable right now.
herman_herman
  • Posts: 535
  • Joined: 19/05/2007
jdadojr wrote:

Hi there yavdevs, currently I am stress testing your yaf. Putting in around 40K users and 3Million posts.
As I have noticed, slowdowns and bottlenecks causing sql timeouts are in the sql aggregation queries.
You may need to have tables for computed colums and sql jobs to update those tables.

Keep up the good work anyway..



Hi
How do you stress test YAf in this way.i mean putting data in the forum.All of the software i have seen so far just test the SQL itself.

Thanks
Demigod
  • Posts: 59
  • Joined: 02/04/2007
It's been some time since any progress was posted on the status of 1.9.3. Is it any closer to beta or release?
Mek
  • Posts: 892
  • Joined: 12/07/2005
We're still fixing bugs as our time on the project allows, it's getting there.. just slowly.

UserPostedImage 

"It's a case of RTFM.. the only problem being we don't have a manual!"

When I post FP:Mek in a topic, I'm leaving my footprint there so I can track it once I get into coding/supporting. (Yes I stole this off Ederon 🙂 )
Users browsing this topic
    Forum Jump  
    • You cannot post new topics in this forum.
    • You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
    • You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
    • You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
    • You cannot create polls in this forum.
    • You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

    About Us

    The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.

    Powered by Resharper Donate with PayPal button

    Project Twitter Updates

    Copyright © YetAnotherForum.NET & Ingo Herbote. All rights reserved