khanmjk
  •  khanmjk
  • 52.4% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling Topic Starter
2010-02-23T11:29:15Z
I've just inherited a forum which includes technical ownership and management of posts, metrics reporting etc. I've not seen the backend yet, and the IT guy who set up the forum is no longer available to support it - so I thought of checking with you guys first.

We're using version "Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.2 (NET v2.0) - 27/09/2007"

My current problem is that the count of Posts (i.e. number of Posts) seems to be incorrect, across parent and child forums. Some forums the count is correct, but on most forums, the counts report Zero, but on the actual forum itself, there are pages of posts.

Is this a known issue? Has somone seen this before?

Basically there is a lot of movement in the forum, with posts being created in one forum, then moved to another forum. Basically the forum is being used as a bug tracking system. People raise issues, issues are reviewed, then moved to relevant buckets as appropriate for further review.

The incorrect counts are preventing us from acquiring accurate metrics. We have to manually go into each forum and count the number of posts, there are tens of pages to go through.

Can someone point me in the general direction please (hopefully not the door :-d )

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor
Jaben
  •  Jaben
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2010-02-23T11:52:25Z
Very old version from 2007. That issue have been fixed in newer versions -- but will not be fixed in old versions.
Ederon
2010-02-23T16:24:21Z
If you want to stay on that archaic version of YAF (for whatever reason), then I suggest you take a look at SPs that are responsible for posting messages (or approving them). Compare T-SQL code with most recent one and I'm sure it won't take long to fix this issue.
When I post FP:Ederon in a topic, I'm leaving my footprint there so I can track it once I get into coding/supporting.
UserPostedImage 
khanmjk
  •  khanmjk
  • 52.4% (Neutral)
2010-02-24T02:43:38Z
Thanks guys. Just one more general question: Where can I find information on rules for counting number of Posts/Replies, e.g. do Moved items get counted?
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, I'm a newbie at this.
Thanks
Ederon
2010-02-24T04:07:55Z
IIRC, there are just following places where posts are counted.

1. when message is posted (on its approval, which can be automatic when forum is not moderated)
  2. when post is moved
  3. when topic is moved

Moved topics are not counted IIRC, even when they leave pointer behind.
When I post FP:Ederon in a topic, I'm leaving my footprint there so I can track it once I get into coding/supporting.
UserPostedImage 
khanmjk
  •  khanmjk
  • 52.4% (Neutral)
2010-02-24T06:07:37Z
Quote:

Moved topics are not counted IIRC, even when they leave pointer behind.

Interesting because that is the functionality I actually need.
The scenario is this:
We create a forum for a Software Release, call it RelX.

RelX is used to collect all responses from some home trialists, which is treated as topics made under RelX Forum.

Discussion ensues and we decide it's a real issue and then move the topic to a different forum, e.g. Stability Issues, Likely bugs on Component X, Y,Z and so on.

We have another forum for Releases history, and under that forum, we keep a record of say all Stability issues.

Over time, we can count the number of topics in each forum, to see the progress we've made in a certain area.

As all the topics will have inevitablly moved between forums, we need to count all topics anyway. The situation I have now is that I've got a forum reporting Zero posts, but when I go into the forum, I can see pages of posts "[Moved]..." but not counted for...

Is there anyway to workaround this?
Ederon
2010-02-24T12:44:45Z
Sure, just alter counting mechanism to actually count moved topics. That is, topics with TopicMovedID other than NULL. You'll easily recognize code needed to change in SPs (I described above).
UserPostedImage 
khanmjk
  •  khanmjk
  • 52.4% (Neutral)
2010-02-25T03:42:10Z
Thanks. That's what we did - we modified a stored procedure call to include moved items in the count, and even at the risk of double counting, it appears to be working.
Thanks all!

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.