BFreakout
  •  BFreakout
  • 59% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling Topic Starter
2009-07-07T16:57:49Z
Hello,

i must change the server and can´t run the forum. i become a exception with "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

Details:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

Line 124:
Line 125: // render the forum
Line 126: base.Render( writer );
Line 127:
Line 128: writer.WriteLine( "</div></div>" );

Source File: d:\FTP\azure-forum_net\web\App_Code\YAF\Forum.cs Line: 126

what can i do?

best Regards,

BFreakout
Sponsor
mddubs
2009-07-07T17:15:41Z
You haven't worded your problem very clearly.

It sounds like everything was working, then you changed your server, and now you see this error. Is that correct?
UserPostedImage 
www.bunkerhollow.com  | www.careercomputing.com 
When I post fp:mddubs in a topic, I'm leaving my footprint there so I can track it once I get into coding/supporting. (Yes I stole this off Mek 🙂, who stole this off Ederon 🙂 )
BFreakout
  •  BFreakout
  • 59% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling Topic Starter
2009-07-07T17:27:31Z
i must change the provider... the domainname is the self... i copy the files from old server to new server... the script is never running... i started installation again... the self error...
xuanvu
  •  xuanvu
  • 78.8% (Friendly)
  • YAF Forumling
2009-08-16T22:28:16Z
I too have this error this morning, everything was working fine last night and there were no changes whatsoever to the codes. Any idea where this error comes from?

Thanks,
Kenny.
Jaben
  •  Jaben
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2009-08-16T23:07:04Z
Can you recycle the IIS process for the forum?
xuanvu
  •  xuanvu
  • 78.8% (Friendly)
  • YAF Forumling
2009-08-17T00:57:10Z
Hi Jaben,
I've tried to restart the IIS for the website, I've asked my host provider and they say there were no changes to the server. This is the complete error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error: 

Line 126:
Line 127:			// render the forum
Line 128:			base.Render( writer );
Line 129:
Line 130:			writer.WriteLine( "</div></div>" );

Source File: e:\HostingSpaces\nguyenxvu2k@hotmail.com\notesnhac.com\wwwroot\App_Code\YAF\Forum.cs    Line: 128 

Stack Trace: 

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
   YAF.Classes.Data.DB.user_guest(Object boardID) +100
   YAF.Classes.Utils.UserMembershipHelper.IsGuestUser(Int32 userID) +96
   YAF.Controls.UserLink.Render(HtmlTextWriter output) +63
   System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +27
   System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +99
   System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer) +25
   System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children) +134
   System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer) +19
   System.Web.UI.Control.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +10
   System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +27
   System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +99
   System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children) +134
   System.Web.UI.UpdatePanel.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer) +234
   System.Web.UI.UpdatePanel.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +34
   YAF.Classes.Base.ForumPage.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +4
   YAF.Forum.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) in e:\HostingSpaces\nguyenxvu2k@hotmail.com\notesnhac.com\wwwroot\App_Code\YAF\Forum.cs:128
   ASP.includes_masterpageforum_master.__Renderform1(HtmlTextWriter __w, Control parameterContainer) in e:\HostingSpaces\nguyenxvu2k@hotmail.com\notesnhac.com\wwwroot\Includes\MasterPageForum.master:82
   System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children) +256
   System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer) +163
   System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlContainerControl.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +32
   System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.Render(HtmlTextWriter output) +51
   System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer) +40
   System.Web.UI.Page.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +29
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1266

My website is http://www.notesnhac.com 

The main portion of the website functions just fine, my site is using .net membership.

Thanks,
Kenny.
xuanvu
  •  xuanvu
  • 78.8% (Friendly)
  • YAF Forumling
2009-08-17T12:07:57Z
I've found the cause of the error. A user registered a new nick named "guest" and this basically thrown everything off!!!
Scrambler
2009-08-29T22:23:14Z
I got same error message .

I did try changing the "Guest" user name from "Guest' to something else using SQL server admin tools, that didn't help...

After reading the trace more carefully and look into the stored procedures, I found a fix myself:

To update the YAF_UserGroup table row using SQL server tool - I changed the User "Guest" 's group back to "Guests" from "Registered".

Honestly I still not clear how this happened. If the "Guest" is already a user with "Guests" category, I should NOT be able to register this user in the first place, right?

Please follow up and clean up the registration code, thanks.

jbarton
2009-10-12T13:22:28Z
Just in case you didn't find a solution to this yet.
Here is a link to a topic that could be your answer.

Patch register.ascx.cs 

Enjoy:cheesy:

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.