Soro_Trestal
2009-06-25T03:19:53Z
Hi All,

I'm using YaF in my Webapp for the upcomming MMO-game Aion, our legion is called Last Remnants.

Setup

First i was thinking about creating my own Forum, just simple, nothing too fancy, but then i was thinking why invent the weel again?
So i started to look around for open source, free forum software, i even considerd PHP.

Then i found YaF! wich i believe has to be the best open source .net Forum Application available, amazing the stuff you can do with it!

The forum is placed inside an IFrame, because i had some problems using YaF as a control on my Main page, i had no problems with the url mapping, but i have a flash player on my site and personally i think it's annoying when you're listening to your favourite tune when suddenly it stops because you "Click" a link.

Even tried UpdatePanel and the use of YaF as a forum control, my whole page kept refreshing

My web application is developed in VB, so i'm working with 2 Code Directories in my ASP_CODE folder.
Setting it all up was a piece of cake, installing YaF in my existing application took me only a few hours.
I used the free Software piece called WinMerge to merge my web.config with the one from YaF no big deal, it just shows you 2 text files next to each other so you can view and "merge" the changes.

Status

I'm currently on version 1.9.3 wich is very stable, i had minor issues installing the database, i even added my own tables and linked them with the tables from YaF, even added more fields to YaF tables because i needed more data etc...

If you surf to our site you will be logged in as guest, the magic happens when you login through my Login Control wich resides outside the forum.

The Site is currently still under development, be the End is near :cheesy:

I created my own Shoutbox, latest posts, merged my admin page with one from the forum, created my own Eventcalendar etc ...

Issues

The only issues i had:

If you post a larger picture then my iframe it gives problems.
but i fixed it on my own way wich i posted here , i created my own BBCode extension module called: [IMGR] module wich filters the image url.

Using YaF as a control on an update panel, my whole page kept refreshing

Also the "Go Top" doesn't work because of the Iframe.

I also had some problems with the mail but i got it fixed very quickly.

Also the Timezone doesn't work i have (UTC) times but it hink i need a different file or something.

Overall

Overall i must say YaF IS an acceptable forum software.

Of course different features can be added to improve it's greatness, like birthday's, It's own calendar etc

Sooo i have to disgree with AloneInTheDark in his post  and i did managed to use YaF forum for my MMO Site.

Thanks YaF developers !

Visit

Visit us at Last Remnants 

Feel free to register and try it out :wink:

Any Comments are welcome,

Regards Kevin.
Sponsor
glynn
  •  glynn
  • 59.6% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling
2009-06-25T08:53:54Z
Kevin,

Your site looks great, the artwork is fantastic. Do you offer your services (for a fee)? I mean only the artwork, I am an asp.net developer but as you can see from my site, not an artist!

http://forum.yetanotherforum.net/yaf_postsm35448_shopfromtheheartorg--site-integrated-with-YAF.aspx 

Greg
Mek
  •  Mek
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2009-06-25T09:17:50Z
Pretty goddamn good mate. I am positively envious at the bars of the main screen, and some of the patterns you have.

The gripes are few:
The Last Remnant title text; looks somewhat less professional than the rest of your site.
The forum headers could do with fantasizing, i.e. create some beautiful texture or something for them.
Adding a bit more colour to the mouse overs for the menu, maybe text colour. To help make them really stand out a bit.

As someone who has done some skins for MMORPG YAF implementations, I take off my hat to you.

UserPostedImage 

"It's a case of RTFM.. the only problem being we don't have a manual!"

When I post FP:Mek in a topic, I'm leaving my footprint there so I can track it once I get into coding/supporting. (Yes I stole this off Ederon 🙂 )
Soro_Trestal
2009-06-26T03:03:48Z
Quote:

Kevin,

Your site looks great, the artwork is fantastic. Do you offer your services (for a fee)? I mean only the artwork, I am an asp.net developer but as you can see from my site, not an artist!

http://forum.yetanotherf...integrated-with-YAF.aspx 

Greg

Hi Greg, thanks for the compliment :wink:

You're site looks cool to, sure i'd love to help you, i think we can arrange something,
this is my 2nd official site i'm publishing.

Cheers :-d
Soro_Trestal
2009-06-26T03:07:59Z
Quote:

Pretty goddamn good mate. I am positively envious at the bars of the main screen, and some of the patterns you have.

The gripes are few:
The Last Remnant title text; looks somewhat less professional than the rest of your site.
The forum headers could do with fantasizing, i.e. create some beautiful texture or something for them.
Adding a bit more colour to the mouse overs for the menu, maybe text colour. To help make them really stand out a bit.

As someone who has done some skins for MMORPG YAF implementations, I take off my hat to you.

Wow i'm glad you like it Mek,

Comments are allways welcome,

I think you have some good points there, gonna put them in my todo list :wink:

Thanks

Cheers!

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.