jefflit
  •  jefflit
  • 53% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling Topic Starter
2009-05-05T07:47:50Z
Upgrading from 1.9.1.6 to 1.9.3.
Using source in VS 2005 with SQL 2005.
Copied the /webconfigs/v191-upgrade-web.config to web.config.
Got past all build errors -- Using VS2005 and .Net 2.0 so added reference to AjaxExtensions. Copied the nStuff.UpdateControls.dll from /bin/Net20 to /bin (that should be in install doc, btw).
Edited db.config: <add name="yafnet" connectionString="data source=(local);initial catalog=c4forum;integrated security=SSPI" />
I am logged in as administrator on a VPC 2005 image of XP.
Opened install page.
Provided a config password.
Said upgrade and checked box to try to install full text search.
Chugged for a while, then stopped with an exception about sql timeout. Forgot to copy exception detail. sorry.
Thought maybe sspi context was bad so when to sql mgr and ran sp_who to verify logged into sql as admin.
Used sql mgr to see if anything had changed in db. Lots of new objects.
Humm. Stopped debugger. Ran again.
Entered config password.
Timeout again but at a different place.
Humm. Crafted this post this far then ran again so that I could copy full exception details.
Wouldn't you know it -- the upgrade ran to completion and finished fine this time. Go figure.
All that is just FYI in case it is germane or helps someone else.

Now, when the site tries to open the default home page it encounters a null _board when trying to set the page title.

// individual board settings
public string Name
{
get { return _board ["Name"].ToString(); }
}

System.NullReferenceException was unhandled by user code
Message="Object reference not set to an instance of an object."
Source="YAF.Classes.Utils"
StackTrace:
at YAF.Classes.Utils.YafBoardSettings.get_Name() in E:\WebRoot\yaf193\YAF.Classes\YAF.Classes.Utils\Config\BoardSettings.cs:line 135
at YAF.Classes.Base.ForumPage.GeneratePageTitle() in E:\WebRoot\yaf193\YAF.Classes\YAF.Classes.Base\ForumPage.cs:line 232
at YAF.Classes.Base.ForumPage.ForumPage_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in E:\WebRoot\yaf193\YAF.Classes\YAF.Classes.Base\ForumPage.cs:line 217
at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Callstack:
> YAF.Classes.Utils.DLL!YAF.Classes.Utils.YafBoardSettings.Name.get() Line 135 + 0xd bytes C#
YAF.Classes.Base.DLL!YAF.Classes.Base.ForumPage.GeneratePageTitle() Line 232 + 0x2e bytes C#
YAF.Classes.Base.DLL!YAF.Classes.Base.ForumPage.ForumPage_Load(object sender = {ASP.pages_forum_ascx}, System.EventArgs e = {System.EventArgs}) Line 217 + 0x8 bytes C#
[External Code]

Looked into the yaf_board table to verify data was OK: select * from yaf_board:

BoardID Name AllowThreaded MembershipAppName RolesAppName
----------- -------------------------------- ----------------- ----------------- -------------------------
1 My Forum Name Was Here 0 NULL NULL
(1 row(s) affected)

Probably simple but can anyone provide any clues?
Sponsor
devmine
2009-05-05T18:05:28Z
I encountered the same error when I had setup v1.9.3 in VS2008.
However, when I did a clean-rebuilt of the whole solution and ran the site, the error was gone.
Basically, restarted the website.

I think although the BoardSettings in the YafContext exists, there is no Forum name.

Hope this helps.
jefflit
  •  jefflit
  • 53% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling Topic Starter
2009-05-05T18:27:06Z
Thank you. Closing VS and Rebuilding did indeed fix the problem. Obviously a caching issue. Thanks again.

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.