Soorya Shine
2009-03-08T23:50:44Z
Hi guys...
Is there any way that we acn have a diiferent display name..? i mean,presntly the name displayed for all my posts are my username..can i only keep that as my username and use a different name for posting..? is there any way? if so,please guide me through that..any suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks..
Sponsor
mddubs
2009-03-09T03:22:22Z
No, what would prevent someone from using the same name as someone else? Let's say I was able to just change my name to 'Soorya Shine', would that be a good thing?

Then you could argue that you'd just write more code to make sure the names are unique... but that's what a username already is.

You'd also have trouble using other functions like PMs.
UserPostedImage 
www.bunkerhollow.com  | www.careercomputing.com 
When I post fp:mddubs in a topic, I'm leaving my footprint there so I can track it once I get into coding/supporting. (Yes I stole this off Mek 🙂, who stole this off Ederon 🙂 )
Mek
  •  Mek
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2009-03-09T07:57:12Z
I like the idea of Display Name; and i don't think it'd be as hard an issue as you might think because the yaf_user table is displaying username, but technically it could be anything as long as its unique.
The table is linked by the provideruserkey, not the username so i can't see why that couldn't be possible.
Something we should bear in mind after 1.93.

UserPostedImage 

"It's a case of RTFM.. the only problem being we don't have a manual!"

When I post FP:Mek in a topic, I'm leaving my footprint there so I can track it once I get into coding/supporting. (Yes I stole this off Ederon 🙂 )
Soorya Shine
2009-03-10T18:35:34Z
Thanks mddubs & Mek for ur responses..

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.