Coleen
  •  Coleen
  • 89.2% (Honored)
  • YAF Commander Topic Starter
2014-06-05T16:38:30Z
Well, since I have to find a new hosting service anyway, and since I am getting errors with the YAF 1.9.6.1 | version (which are probably not related to the version at all, but due to the crap migration service performed by Arvixe) I am going to upgrade to the newest version of Yaf.Net.

Should I upgrade, or start fresh? If I start fresh, can I still import all my data from my yaf.net forums to the new version on the new hosting service?

Any help or advice is VERY appreciated! TIA.
Sponsor
Zero2Cool
2014-06-05T17:02:39Z
Don't be a wimp! Upgrade! It might be painful, but you can do it!

Initially, I would create a beta site just to get the flow of the new host, but definitely upgrade.
Coleen
  •  Coleen
  • 89.2% (Honored)
2014-06-05T17:10:07Z
🤣 Yup, I'm a wimp! 🤣

Okay, OK, I'm upgrading instead of downloading the newest version and starting fresh! I did already back up my v. 1.9.6.1, so...I'm off to upgrade and see how much trouble I can get into! (Yes, I'm doing this all on my localhost first!)

Any tips, tricks or secrets for a smooth upgrade?
Zero2Cool
2014-06-05T17:11:39Z
Originally Posted by: Coleen 

Any tips, tricks or secrets for a smooth upgrade?

Yeah, don't screw it up! haha

I actually had more issues getting YAF running locally than on a host. On a host was a breeze. Locally I wanted to slap an electric fence.

Coleen
  •  Coleen
  • 89.2% (Honored)
2014-06-05T17:45:21Z
Yeah this:
Quote:

I actually had more issues getting YAF running locally than on a host.

Sigh.
I don't have any local databases set up so of course (d'uh!) the very first thing I get is an error: There has been a serious error loading the forum. No further information is available.

I was following the Upgrade instructions exactly, but had forgotten I don't have a local copy of my SQL Database, so when I went to: STEP 4. UPGRADE Wizard, and ran install/default.aspx (and yes I copied everything to the root file: inetpub >> wwroot >> YafTestForum >> install) I got the above error.

So - now I have to go set up the database - the problem is that there are a LOT of tables that are used, so it's easier to install a fresh new version and let the install wizard create them for me than it is to go create ALL the tables manually. (sigh)

I am now officially a wimp. 😊 Back to installing a fresh new version of Yaf.net v2.1.2 instead of upgrading... (sigh again...)
Zero2Cool
2014-06-05T17:48:59Z
The data you have, is it sensitive in nature? If you can share to me the site files and db backup, I can get it going for you and upgrade it. Not this moment, but this evening when I get home.

Before I puff my chest too much here. Do you have a normal YAF install or did you do a bunch of tweaks and changes? If so, deals off lol

Coleen
  •  Coleen
  • 89.2% (Honored)
2014-06-05T18:18:49Z
Wow- thanks for the offer!

The data itself isn't really sensitive, all passwords are encrypted anyway so that's not an issue, it's mostly a matter of privacy for my users - which I am sure you aren't interested in contacting 400+ grieving parents who've lost a child... so maybe we can work together on this. A HUGE THANK YOU!

Although, I am currently trying to do a fresh install...

I didn't do a lot of tweaks on the forum install - only to the .CSS files for the look & feel of the forums (to match my website) - otherwise I think it's pretty much "out of the box" so message me when you're available and if I haven't been able to get the fresh install to work correctly, I'll take you up on your offer!

Zero, you are most definitely my HERO! :-d
Zero2Cool
2014-06-05T18:21:51Z
I don't think it'll be too difficult. We'll give it a try an see how it goes.
Coleen
  •  Coleen
  • 89.2% (Honored)
2014-06-05T22:46:37Z
Hooray! I was able to install a brand new instance of Yaf.net on my local machine. Now of course I will have to edit the CSS files, but the biggest thing is to test it and make sure that users will be able to register with no errors. So now I'm off to sign up for the new hosting service and see about getting this set up on the new host server, then see about migrating my yaf.net database over from the old server. That IS possible...right? Just the data - posts,messages, profiles, etc. - all data should be able to be migrated to the new forums right? Theoretically...
Coleen
  •  Coleen
  • 89.2% (Honored)
2014-06-09T22:18:34Z
Well...ermmm...ummm...huh?

So I was able to completely download, install and set up the new version 2.1.2.0 and get the .CSS for the YafVision theme that I am using all updated to look almost exactly like my current on-line version 1.9.6.1. However, When I connect to the SQL Database for the new forums, there are no tables in the yaf database! I looked in the Tables directory and under it are two directories: System Tables and File Tables. When I open up either one of them - there are NO tables listed there!

So I was able to get a back up copy of my hosted yaf.net database zipped and downloaded - then un-zipped in to a new directory. I was able to open the back-up directory and was able to check that the tables from the on-line yaf database ARE included and I can see all the data, so that's all good.

But when I open my localhost yaf forums, I try to login and get an error: "The user name or password entered is incorrect. Please try again." - yet I KNOW that the user name and password that I just entered ARE correct!

So I went back to the SQL Local Database and checked to see if I could possibly find the newly registered "test" user I just created in the database I just imported from the hosted back-up copy, and there is NO record in the Prov_Membership nor in the Yaf_user.

Also - I noticed that although there are MANY new registred users in the "Prov_Membership" table, there are NO corresponding users in the Yaf_user table since May 5 (which is exactly why I am trying to upgrade and update the yaf forums and databases.)

Can anyone please hel pme with this? Where would my new tables for the new localhost yaf forums be? TIA!
Coleen
  •  Coleen
  • 89.2% (Honored)
2014-06-10T12:11:10Z
Found them! When we installed Yaf, we used SQL authentication instead of Windows authentication, and we had trouble getting set up to allow any users except for Administrator, so we used SA as the user...which then automatically put all the tables into the Master database! After quite a bit of hunting yesterday, I found all the tables - thank goodness!

So since we were now able to change the permissions on the Yaf database, we changed its Master table to Yaf insead of "Master" and now I have to re-run the Yaf Installation setup to get it to pioint to the correct tables! Sheesh! I'm sure glad I'm doing this locally instead of on-line first (although, I'm sure doing this on the New Host's SQL server will be set up to allow the correct permissions to its users...I hope!)

Now I guess my question is can I just re-run the yaf installation or should I run the upgrade now? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Coleen
  •  Coleen
  • 89.2% (Honored)
2014-06-13T15:36:43Z
Well howdy! I'm back! :lol:

Actually - just as an update for anyone who was folloing my other thread - it was accidentally deleted, but the error that I was having on integating the yaf forum into my website was resolved.

The process of integration was easier than I thought - the hardest part was merging the web.config from Yaf with the web.config from my website. I solved that by using a tool that Zero2Cool sent me (thank you!) http://winmerge.org/downloads/  and going line-by-line to make sure the correct code was in the new file and by combining the connection strings into a line to refernce the db.config <connectionStrings configSource="db.config" />, the appsettings references the app.config <appSettings configSource="app.config" />, the rewriter references the Rewriter.config <rewriter configSource="URLRewriter.config" /> and the mailsettings references the mail.config. NOTE: The mailsettings has to be formatted like this:
<mailSettings>
<smtp configSource="mail.config" />
</mailSettings>
and MUST be inside the <system.net> brackets, or it will give you an error!

AND - when integrating yaf.net forums into your website, make SURE you move all the directories that are shown in the instructions here: https://github.com/YAFNE...ting-ASP.NET-Application  to the ROOT dierctory - DON'T miss ANY of them (I made the mistake of forgetting to make sure the Bin file was in the root - dumb blond moment!) 😊 but it all turned out good in the end. Thanks VERY much to Zero2Cool for all of his awesome help (and his blond jokes!) 😛
Coleen
  •  Coleen
  • 89.2% (Honored)
2014-06-13T15:40:56Z
So now that it is all working on my localhost correctly, I have to move it up to the new hosting server. The biggest problem with this is that the hosting service doesn't have free help with moving my website from my previous hosting service - I have to do this myself. This should not be too difficult as far as FTP'ing the files up from my localhost, but the biggest concern I have is creating the data connections correctly to point to their server rather than to my local host - AND making certain I get the database back up restored WITHOUT giving me any errors. Any suggestions for a smooth transistion?
Zero2Cool
2014-06-13T15:42:53Z
What happened to that other thread? Weird.

Create a full backup of your site files.
Create a full backup of your database.

Upload them. Unzip them. Update your connection strings.

You worry too much about breaking things! Just go after it! You got backups if you mess up. It's a snap to start over if you're using SmarterASP host 🙂
Coleen
  •  Coleen
  • 89.2% (Honored)
2014-06-13T15:44:53Z
Aw, Zero, I worry too much about everything! Thank you! You are SO my Hero! 🙂

Oh, I don't know exactly what happened to the other thread - one minute I had an email telling me there was a response, the next - the thread was gone. I aksed and somehow one of the mods accidently deleted it :oops: Oh well - stuff happens (turns out I'm not the only "Blond" around!) (JK) :lol:

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.