sirmaelstrom
2014-04-09T22:13:01Z
As I get more and more people using the forum, I discovered that the feeds don't work exactly as I would have expected.

For instance, the active discussions feed is great - you subscribe and you get all new messages with content.

But let's say a user is only interested in a particular forum and not all messages? Cool, just set up a feed to that forum right?

Well you can do this, but that feed only contains the thread titles - you have to go into the forum to see the data. Why doesn't a forum feed contain the content of posts? Is this a configuration item I'm missing?
Sponsor
Zero2Cool
2014-04-09T23:37:36Z
You're referring to the RSS Feed's, correct?

The only configuration I'm aware of adding the amount of items to display via RSS. I think adding a summary or first X amount of characters wouldn't be too difficult. I'll check the source code and see if I can find anything. But to my knowledge, it is not an option in the current version.
sirmaelstrom
2014-04-10T00:06:16Z
Yes, that is exactly what I'm talking about :)

In my case, I have a lot of users who are accustomed to newsgroups, so being able to subscribe to a particular forum and view it in their favorite rss reader without going to the site (just to consume the content) is really important.
Zero2Cool
2014-04-10T00:10:47Z
Found the page that I believe does all the heavy lifting. I think for someone who's familiar with YAF source code, it'll be an easy addition. That's just my speculation though.
sirmaelstrom
2014-04-10T15:24:34Z
Right on - I decided to look into it and my approach was to update the legacydb.rsstopic_list query to add the message to the output, then update the "GetTopicsFeed" in rsstopic.ascx.cs to pull this rows data into the syndication item. Really wish I could understand why this isn't just the default for all feeds or at least a configurable option.
Hellboy75
2014-04-17T09:04:23Z
Hi !

Completely agree with you.
I would love to see this option, I'd rather have the list of messages :)

tha_watcha
2014-04-26T16:23:49Z
Originally Posted by: sirmaelstrom 

As I get more and more people using the forum, I discovered that the feeds don't work exactly as I would have expected.

For instance, the active discussions feed is great - you subscribe and you get all new messages with content.

But let's say a user is only interested in a particular forum and not all messages? Cool, just set up a feed to that forum right?

Well you can do this, but that feed only contains the thread titles - you have to go into the forum to see the data. Why doesn't a forum feed contain the content of posts? Is this a configuration item I'm missing?

This will be fixed in 2.1.2

UserPostedImage

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.