mtbvfr
  •  mtbvfr
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • YAF Camper Topic Starter
2012-07-24T19:12:52Z
Hi All,

What Database Maintenance Features are available in the latest version of YAF?

Do they include Backup and Restore?

Thank you, Michael.
Sponsor
daveburke
2012-07-24T19:57:17Z
Michael,

You can run SQL Queries, Set the backup mode (full, simple or bulk-logged), obtain table index statistics, reindex tables and shrink your database in the DB Admin UI. Does not include Backup/Restore, though Host Providers almost always provide that service through a client Control Panel of some kind.

-Dave
mtbvfr
  •  mtbvfr
  • 50.2% (Neutral)
  • YAF Camper Topic Starter
2012-07-24T21:40:06Z
Hi Dave,

If there are no Database Backup and Restore features, then, for what purpose is the Backup Mode feature?

Thanks again, Michael

Originally Posted by: daveburke 

Michael,

You can run SQL Queries, Set the backup mode (full, simple or bulk-logged), obtain table index statistics, reindex tables and shrink your database in the DB Admin UI. Does not include Backup/Restore, though Host Providers almost always provide that service through a client Control Panel of some kind.

-Dave

daveburke
2012-07-26T00:01:00Z
Michael,

Good point! To be honest, I've never used that feature. Perhaps someone will be able to answer that for us!

-Dave
squirrel
2012-07-26T05:08:39Z
Those three modes set the SQL Server 'database recovery mode'. This is the backup and recovery mode used when a native SQL backup is run by the SQL server... "Simple" recovery does not keep transaction logs, and thus is not recoverable beyond the last 'periodic' backup. "Full" recovery keeps those transaction logs from the point of the last database backup that was run by the SQL server (using a "BACKUP" command)... That means that in disaster, you can recover from the backup, then restore the transaction logs which are supposed to bring you right back to the moment of failure. Bulk-logged I believe dumps records into that transaction log file into bulk, which would mean your recovery would only be up to the last 'log' operation run -- so closer recovery than "Simple" but not as close as "Full"...

As to why YAF allows you to change it, I have no idea. But changing it sometimes can help you in cases where your transaction logs have filled up, because they will count against an SQL quota. The problem is that I don't think the transaction log is truncated when you switch from Full to Simple. I think you still have to run a backup before the data will be truncated by SQLServer when it runs its cleanup.

I did some research last night trying to setup a backup command as a query and running it from YAF, but I didn't get very far. The optimum backup solution for YAF is to grab the whole database natively (from the server level) and not the YAF level - mainly due to the indices and all the constraints throughout the yaf tables. I would not even want to think about sorting all that out for a restore.

In all reality, 99% of hosts allow you a 'native' backup feature of your SQL databases as part of your SQL hosting, so trying to write an export and import of the YAF database into the application itself is really pointless, but that is my opinion only...
If you can't find it using the forum search, try my signature link -- searches this site using Google: Google is my Friend