Degeim
  •  Degeim
  • 57.2% (Neutral)
  • YAF Camper Topic Starter
2012-05-28T22:04:46Z
Hi there!

I just upgraded my forum to 1.9.6.1. The upgrade went smoothly, but after it was done, I am unable to login with my administrator user.

I am very sure that I keep trying the correct password, but YAF tells me it is wrong. When I try to make it send me a new password, it says an email has been sent, but I receive none (and there is nothing in the Mail table in the database).

I have created a new user successfully, and posted a thread with the new user, but I need to log in with an administrator to keep ... administering my forum.

What can I do!?
Sponsor
squirrel
2012-05-28T23:55:58Z
What version did you upgrade from? Did you migrate the YAF Membership Provider settings properly when you merged your web.config?

If you can't login right after upgrade, most likely your membership provider settings were not carried over from your last version of YAF.
If you can't find it using the forum search, try my signature link -- searches this site using Google: Google is my Friend 
Degeim
  •  Degeim
  • 57.2% (Neutral)
2012-05-29T06:58:30Z
Actually, I don't know which version it was, but I know it was old (from 2009, or possibly the start of 2010). I have backup of both the YAF installation and the database, so if you tell me where to look, I can find the version if necessary.

http://yafnet.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Upgrade 

Is there any way to restore the membership provider settings, or make one of my users (preferably me, of course) an administrator so that I can start fixing it?
bbobb
  •  bbobb
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2012-05-29T07:56:42Z
Originally Posted by: Degeim 

Actually, I don't know which version it was...
Is there any way to restore the membership provider settings, or make one of my users (preferably me, of course) an administrator so that I can start fixing it?

You can always set password type in Membership table to clear text and log in. Look in Google - it's a standard field.
Usually, problems like yours happen if someone upgrades from YAF 1.9.1.x to 1.9.3 and later.
It seems that you removed YAF credentials if don't know what version it is, which makes developers sad as they contribute to YAF for free and expect something in return.:cry:
Degeim
  •  Degeim
  • 57.2% (Neutral)
2012-05-29T08:16:57Z
bbobb: No, I did not remove the YAF information. I wouldn't dream of making the developers sad, it's a great product! 😉

It is the old version I am unsure of, which I now only have a backup of (and thus I can't run it and see the version, I can only open the files in notepad and look for it -- and I couldn't find it). The new version is 1.9.6.1.

I googled the Membership stuff, and found out that I could simply clear the PasswordSalt and replace the Password of my administrator with the password of my newly created user, and then I could log in with the password of the new user.

So then I'm good. A little sad for all the users that have to fetch a new password, but it shouldn't be too much of a hassle for them.

Thanks for resolving the issue so swiftly!

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.