arielj
  •  arielj
  • 50.6% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling Topic Starter
2011-04-05T00:02:58Z
Hi,

I just don't get it.
I read few post about that, but is not that clear for me.
I'm not sure if I have to merge web.config (and how) or if it is related to roles.

My website is using AspNetSqlMembershipProvider for authentication.
I just want to install YAF in a /forum folder.

So users can go there typing www.mywebsite.com/forum 

But... if I just copy YAF folder to the website i got errors on the web.config (Yaf's web.config) saying that
it is wrong to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' behond application level.

Not sure if that is the real error or I'm missing some configuration/integration step.
The Yaf folder is an actually running Yaf instalation. I just want it to be added to my website.

Thanks !
Sponsor
squirrel
2011-04-05T00:22:35Z
Originally Posted by: arielj 

Hi,

I just don't get it.
I read few post about that, but is not that clear for me.
I'm not sure if I have to merge web.config (and how) or if it is related to roles.

My website is using AspNetSqlMembershipProvider for authentication.
I just want to install YAF in a /forum folder.

So users can go there typing www.mywebsite.com/forum 

But... if I just copy YAF folder to the website i got errors on the web.config (Yaf's web.config) saying that
it is wrong to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' behond application level.

Not sure if that is the real error or I'm missing some configuration/integration step.
The Yaf folder is an actually running Yaf instalation. I just want it to be added to my website.

Thanks !

You need to configure YAF as it's own application in IIS. That is what will cause that error. It can exist in a subfolder, but you need to tell IIS that it is a seperate application to do so.
If you can't find it using the forum search, try my signature link -- searches this site using Google: Google is my Friend 
DanYHKim
2011-04-06T20:18:07Z
This seems to be an ongoing problem. Many of the posts to this forum ask basically this same question.

I left a reply in a different thread that described how I added YAF to my ASP.NET/SQL Server site. I did not do anything for "ASP.NET membership integration", and I don't really have site membership. It was enough for me that I could get a forum up and running.

My YAF forum is not well-integrated. It is not implemented as an application (?) or tool that can reside with a master page or anything like that. It's kind of like this forum here, where you click a link and get to the forum page.

So, if I am being terribly simplistic, and everyone already knows how to do what I described, forgive me.

My description is on the discussion called "Video tutorial on YAF integration with existing web site "

First, I did not install YAF files into their own folder, but added them to my website root

Second, I deleted the App_Data\Database.mdf file and then created a new database file (I am using Visual Studio 2008), adjusting the db.config to match.

Third, I had to "attach" this database to SQL Server Management Studio Express, otherwise it wouldn't work. Dunno why.

Fourth, melded the web.config file with the recommended web config file using WinMerge

I then ran the ~\install\default.aspx to launch the forum and initialize it. That went OK out of the box, I think.

I believe I then copied default.aspx to my web root as forum.aspx, and maybe tweaked some of the paths. It pretty much works as-is.

So, is this what is being asked about?

I've had so much trouble trying to do this by putting YAF into its own folder that it wasn't worth the tassle to me. This works well enough for my use.

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.