forumus
  •  forumus
  • 52.4% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling Topic Starter
2011-04-01T13:35:01Z
Thank you this great Asp.Net / IIS forum.

I would use it for some automotive electronics (that means lots of schematics - pictures)

For a beginner, it is hard (annoying) enough to make him register in order to post something (and I want his post), and it is even harder to EXPLAIN him HOW TO "attach" a picture!

The beginners don't know html , web servers, internet, etc

How do you think he will understand that in order to show a picture in his post/or_reply, he must:

1. Create a new account at flickr.com (or some equivalent)

2. Upload his picture there...

3. Copy it's link (beginner: - what is a link ?!)

4. Create a new account in MY FORUM

5. Finally, create his post and within, embed the LINK of the picture previously flick-ered !

come on !!!

http://forum.some.com/resource.ashx?imgprv=3 ) in our post.

I know that TinyMCE or CKEditor is not your opera and that there is NO EASY WAY to UPLOAD pictures with DRAG and DROP exactly between "those" lines but this is THE FEATURE that will make your forum UNIQUE !

Please, add a button or something to allow users to easily embed pictures .

Thank you
forumus attached the following image(s):
Sponsor
tha_watcha
2011-04-01T13:45:34Z
You need to modify the Member Access Mask to Allow Upload. Then the Users are able to Upload & Attach File and Images A Checkbox bellow the Posteditor "Attach files to this Post" will be visible

Quote:

For a beginner, it is hard (annoying) enough to make him register in order to post something (and I want his post), and it is even harder to EXPLAIN him HOW TO "attach" a picture!

If that is an Issue for you, you can modify the Guest Access Mask to allow posting
UserPostedImage
forumus
  •  forumus
  • 52.4% (Neutral)
2011-04-01T14:19:04Z
Originally Posted by: tha_watcha 

You need to modify the Member Access Mask to Allow Upload.

Hi,
Well, I've already done that (befor I post here)
Even now in this very forum, in the "Post a reply" form, I don't see how can I attach a picture!

HOWEVER, now, I noticed the ATTACH button that appears AFTER I submit the post..
So you have to do it in two steps:
1. write the text and submit,
2. attach your files (at the bottom only)

me not like that - not natural 🙂
tha_watcha
2011-04-01T14:27:13Z
Quote:

me not like that - not natural

I agree the logic behind that is a little bit stupid. I will modify that in the future, when i have some time for it.
UserPostedImage
JP
  •  JP
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Leader
2011-04-01T20:12:03Z
Some of the confusion could actually be avoided by changing some text only...

The checkbox with "Attach files" during posting could easily be changed to read "Attach files/Upload pictures".
"Attach files" is technically correct, but does not help the end user to see that he/she can upload pics too...

When you have attached file(s), the button says "Back" but you are in effect are posting the message by pressing it... It should read "Post" instead...

There are a few "usability quirks" for common forum members without greater computer knowledge, things that seem "obvious" to us "technical guys"...

So I must agree with fomurus regarding usability in some areas...

One question I often get when announcing a forum upgrade is - "Why?". Visitors are more interested about the content than the technical bits and new features.... And if there are new technical bits, they should be intuitive and easily usable by the visitors... Some new features have got "nice" or " wow" reviews, some "so what", and unfortunately there are some "why doesn't it work anymore" too...

So from a user perspective, new isn't always better....
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
forumus
  •  forumus
  • 52.4% (Neutral)
2011-04-02T11:33:06Z
May I suggest something?
- Replace the Attach File Checkbox with a button or link and place it near the Wysiwyg controls
- Popup a new window when you click that button.
- The window / form is dedicated to upload and feedback (Ajax feedback)
- When the user uploads a file, the server counterpart script will process it (uniquely rename it, type allowed?, generate a thumbnail, shrink if too big, add a logo in a corner) and store it in a dedicated temp dir (until the user finally post the message; if user abandons: at the end of the day that temp folder is cleaned), The thumbnail is sent back (+ some new html code) to the user's calling form where it is displayed + a new checkbox appears to allow him to delete it.
- Also, all the uploaded thumbs should appear next to the "Attach Files" on the main post window
Thank you
JP
  •  JP
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Leader
2011-04-03T19:53:09Z
I must say that I like the way forumus describes how it should work to be more user friendly....
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.