cagliostro
2010-12-21T12:06:00Z
Hello.

It seems that you can't make a post with the same title as an other post ? Am i right ?

If so, doesn't that seem not right ?

Thanks
Sponsor
squirrel
2010-12-21T12:11:33Z
I wouldn't think it would be that big of an issue -- even if they did have same titles, I would think it would be rare that they have the same content.

Maybe feature to look for would be an option to 'merge' posts for when situation like that arises.
If you can't find it using the forum search, try my signature link -- searches this site using Google: Google is my Friend 
cagliostro
2010-12-21T12:25:27Z
Originally Posted by: squirrel 

I wouldn't think it would be that big of an issue -- even if they did have same titles, I would think it would be rare that they have the same content.

Maybe feature to look for would be an option to 'merge' posts for when situation like that arises.

Not clear what you mean. I'm not talking about same content (impossible, only on purpose).

Having same post titles is VERY common in public forums. Very.

squirrel
2010-12-21T12:29:48Z
Originally Posted by: cagliostro 

Originally Posted by: squirrel 

Not clear what you mean. I'm not talking about same content (impossible, only on purpose).

Having same post titles is VERY common in public forums. Very.

We've run a public forum for over 10 years and it has rarely ever happened in over 180,000 posts that a topic gets the exact same title. Many times it has happened that a post has 'close' to the same title' and in it's content, the topics are the same and could be merged into one post if the feature was available. I would think it would be highly system intensive task to scan all posts for matching titles before allowing a post to go through. Although I am not a developer of YAF so I cannot confirm this --

I can see your point - just that I don't see it as strongly as you do - that is all :?
If you can't find it using the forum search, try my signature link -- searches this site using Google: Google is my Friend 
cagliostro
2010-12-21T12:53:34Z
Maybe it depends on the Forums niche. And i'm just talking about forum post titles only. No merging.

Just checked the n1 Telecommunication forum in Greece and i see plenty of topics with same title. Also in a couple of travel forums i participate i see the same questions every year.

Anyway ...

cagliostro
2010-12-21T13:00:04Z
btw: it would be nice if we had some control over WHO can edit the Post Titles. I mean the poster or the admins.

bbobb
  •  bbobb
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2010-12-21T13:27:08Z
Currently, YAF in the svn checks for duplicate topic names.
It would be nice to have a similar topics name search almost-on-the-fly too.

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.