tomazaz
  •  tomazaz
  • 57.8% (Neutral)
  • YAF Forumling Topic Starter
2010-05-17T03:08:58Z
Hello,

I have created two forums in one category. I would like to restrict access to these forums. For example User1 has access only for Forum1 and User2 can access only Forum2.
Is it possible?

regards,
Tomas
Sponsor
bbobb
  •  bbobb
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2010-05-17T05:47:01Z
Create groups with different names.
tomazaz
  •  tomazaz
  • 57.8% (Neutral)
2010-05-17T06:22:24Z
I am also developer and learn new systems very easy, unfortunately your forum is very confusing, I spend 20 minutes trying to do that without any success.
Could you let me know how to do that step by step.

Also I have encountered huge amount of fatal bugs which kill forum, you should test it very carefully before releasing it to public. I will post them in bug forum.
bbobb
  •  bbobb
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF Developer
2010-05-17T09:01:55Z
tomazaz wrote:

I am also developer and learn new systems very easy

Are you completly sure in it?

tomazaz wrote:

Also I have encountered huge amount of fatal bugs which kill forum, you should test it very carefully before releasing it to public. I will post them in bug forum.

Hope to see one. I'm a sort of an optimist.

P.S.RTFM!

tomazaz
  •  tomazaz
  • 57.8% (Neutral)
2010-05-28T06:18:16Z
Could you explain how to find Groups? I have YAF 1.9.4 RC1, logged in as Administrator, in control panel at the left I see menu.
One of them named "Users and Roles", logical would be to find Groups here. Unfortunately browsed all sub-menu, there is no such feature which could help me to assign users to goups and groups to forums.

About bug, if special character sequence present in posted message, it kills your forum, the forum throw .NET error when forum visited where message was posted. There is no way to delete such post, what I did is opened MSSQL Management console and delete that message directly in database. I will post message when I will encounter bug again.
Steve4
2011-12-22T16:11:51Z
Originally Posted by: tomazaz 

Could you explain how to find Groups? I have YAF 1.9.4 RC1, logged in as Administrator, in control panel at the left I see menu.
One of them named "Users and Roles", logical would be to find Groups here. Unfortunately browsed all sub-menu, there is no such feature which could help me to assign users to goups and groups to forums.

I encountered this confusion, too. Since no one has answered I will.

Groups = Roles.

They are the same thing. If you are logged in as an Administrator and click on Users And Roles and you select a user to edit you will see a tab at the top titled "User Roles". Click on that tab and below it will display "User Groups". The developers have been careless in using both terms in the application. They should standardize on one term and Roles would probably be better since its primary focus is on controlling access to the forums. That sounds like a Role more than a Group. Group sounds like an arbitrary collection of information rather than a tool to control user access.

Steve
Steve4
2012-01-04T20:19:40Z
I'm having a similar problem. I created two forums, call them Public and Restricted. I created two groups/roles, call them Member and Unrestricted. I set a the Access mask for the Restricted forum to allow Member Access for Unrestricted users and No Access for Member users. When I log in with one test user who has the Unrestricted role he can see and read the Restricted forum. When I log in with a second test user who has the Unrestricted role he cannot see the Restricted forum. Why?
Steve4
2012-01-04T20:57:08Z
I have learned something new about this. YAF uses several tables to control access to the forums including yaf_forumaccess, yaf_activeaccess, and yaf_usergroup. The user that didn't have access was being blocked by settings in the yaf_activeaccess table. I don't understand the purpose of that table. Access should be controlled through the group, but it is being overriden by user specific settings in yaf_activeaccess. This is either bad design or there is some other feature that it is supporting.

The user without access had records in yaf_activeaccess for each forum. I went into forum admin, opened the Restricted forum, clicked Save again (without changing the already correct Access Mask settings), re-queried yaf_activeaccess, and now the user's records in that table are gone, and the user can now see the Restricted forum. WTF? That means, "Can someone explain this?" And more importantly, if I create new users and/or forums in the future how do I make sure that the users with Unrestricted access can still see the Restricted forum?

Steve

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.