tecman
  •  tecman
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • YAF All-the-Time Topic Starter
2020-02-25T15:38:49Z
After using the new YAF 2.3 for some time, I came to a conclusion that we do not need the folder icon for categories on the main page. Is there a way to remove them easily?

The same concerns the Atom/RSS Feed buttons everywhere. I would like to turn off this functionality at all for the whole forum and remove those buttons everywhere. This would help to save some screen space. Is there a way to do this in the current public version? Maybe, an option for this in the board settings in the future releases?
Sponsor
tha_watcha
2020-02-27T08:01:28Z
Originally Posted by: tecman 

After using the new YAF 2.3 for some time, I came to a conclusion that we do not need the folder icon for categories on the main page. Is there a way to remove them easily?

.fa-folder {display:none!important}

The same concerns the Atom/RSS Feed buttons everywhere. I would like to turn off this functionality at all for the whole forum and remove those buttons everywhere. This would help to save some screen space. Is there a way to do this in the current public version? Maybe, an option for this in the board settings in the future releases?

It can be disabled via the host settings

UserPostedImage
tecman
  •  tecman
  • 100% (Exalted)
2020-02-27T16:10:09Z
I added '.fa-folder {display:none!important}' to bootstrap-forum.min.css and this helped. The look of the forum is now much better without those folder icons, believe me!! I would illustrate this with screenshots here, but I can't upload attachments. It seems, something is broken on this forum again. Anyway, you know the address at which you can see the result.

As you may remember, I generate bootstrap-forum.min.css with my personal color settings from bootstrap-forum.scss with Web Compiler in VS. It would be nice to make this enhancement somewhere in the source files so I would forgot about this manual correction for all themes.

As for me, I would remove those folder icons at all. But if you insist other people need them, I recommend that you add an option to turn this off somewhere in the forum settings though.
tecman
  •  tecman
  • 100% (Exalted)
2020-02-27T16:14:39Z
Regarding Atom/RSS Feed buttons. I found the checkboxes in the Host Settings\Features\Syndication Feed Settings. These are 'Show RSS Links' and 'Show Atom Links', right? When I turn them off, the Feed buttons remain on their traditional places but now show an empty menu!! The Feed buttons must disappear at all. Fix this, please.
tha_watcha
2020-02-27T23:41:10Z

I added '.fa-folder {display:none!important}' to bootstrap-forum.min.css and this helped. The look of the forum is now much better without those folder icons, believe me!! I would illustrate this with screenshots here, but I can't upload attachments. It seems, something is broken on this forum again. Anyway, you know the address at which you can see the result.

As you may remember, I generate bootstrap-forum.min.css with my personal color settings from bootstrap-forum.scss with Web Compiler in VS. It would be nice to make this enhancement somewhere in the source files so I would forgot about this manual correction for all themes.

As for me, I would remove those folder icons at all. But if you insist other people need them, I recommend that you add an option to turn this off somewhere in the forum settings though.

I don't really understand the problem it's just a small icon, which shows only on large screens. On small screens it's hidden.

UserPostedImage
tha_watcha
2020-02-27T23:50:51Z
The issue with the attachments has been already fixed here in the forum.

The issue with the rss buttons will be fixed in 2.31.01 which will be released on Sunday!
UserPostedImage
tecman
  •  tecman
  • 100% (Exalted)
2020-02-28T15:03:20Z
Originally Posted by: tha_watcha 

I don't really understand the problem it's just a small icon, which shows only on large screens.

Think about a data grid in which you can group data. As a rule, group rows in a grouped data grid will contain plus/minus buttons to expand/collapse data rows. A group row contains the plus/minus button and the corresponding group value, but there is no need to place there an extra [folder] icon to tell the user that it's a group. The plus/minus button is enough, and other icons just overload the interface.

Compare this
YAF 2.3 Category with Folder Icon.png

to this
YAF 2.3 Category without Folder Icon.png

I find the latter more attractive, really.
tecman
  •  tecman
  • 100% (Exalted)
2020-03-02T15:49:15Z
Hurray!! The RSS/Atom feed buttons disappeared after upgrading to YAF 2.31.01.

About Us

The YAF.NET is an open source .NET forum project. YAF.NET is supported by an team of international developers who are build community by building community software.